Woolacombe Bay Golf Club, Mortehoe, Devon.
Founded 1907, the professional to 1909 was J Branch.. A splendid 18 hole well maintained links with lovely views just 3 minutes walk from the centre of Woolacombe. The station at Mortehoe was about 2 miles from the course with a bus service available to the clubhouse. The course was taken over for military training during WW2 and although the club was recorded in 1947 it is unlikely that golf was played following the war.
|1907-09||J Branch (p)|
|1913/14||A Padgham (p)|
|1914||E J Dawes, Mortehoe RSO.||William Gibson|
|1924||T S Watkinson, 3 Castle St, Barnstaple.||R W Hansford (g)|
|1925-30s||T S Watkinson, Sanfield, Woolacombe.||J Morrison (p) G Bennett (g)|
|1935||T S Watkinson assisted by J W Morrison.||A Smith (p) G Bennett (g)|
|1940-47||H W Jenkins, Estate Office, Woolacombe.||A Smith (p) W Boden (g) and E Howard (g)|
It was reported in April 1909 that visitors to Woolacombe were delighted with the extension of the golf links, presumably to 18 holes. There were a large number of entries for both the Open and Members Easter competitions. Prizes were given by the President, Lord Fortescue, and E J Soares M.P. The President’s prize was won by G H Smalldon and Mr Soares’s prize by J A E Merriman
Below is the result of a match played at Ilfracombe on Wednesday 23rd June 1909.
|Rev R L Whytehead (7&6)||1||L Carr||0|
|J Swinney||0||E J Merriman (2up)||1|
|G C Shiers (6&5)||1||W F H Laycock||0|
|J R Drake Goodban (6&4)||1||W Lydall||0|
|J B Saul (3&1)||1||J H Smalldon||0|
|B H D Harrison (7&5)||1||F Beer||0|
|Rev R L Whytehead & J Swinney (1up)||1||L Carr & E J Merriman||0|
|G C Shiers & J R Drake Goodban (half)||0||W F H Laycock & W Lydall (half)||0|
|J B Saul & B H D Harrison (6&5)||1||J H Smalldon & F Beer||0|
In 1914 the club had a membership of 50. The entry fee was £1/1/0 and the subs £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were 2/6 a day, 10/- a week, 30/- a month. Ladies 1/6, 7/-, 20/- respectively. Sunday play was not allowed.
At the end of March 1914 an extraordinary general meeting was held at the Woolacombe Bay Hotel. In attendance were; Rev T W Pigot (in the chair), H Galsworthy, A Halsey, H D Maclure, W Salisbury, F Beer, G H Smalldon and Ernest J Dawes (hon sec) Owing to Miss Chichester’s decision not to let the links again it was decided to wind up the club when the lease expired on August 15th 1914.
Better news just a week later when the club came under new management. Mr Slaeman was to be the new secretary. The new professional was Wm Gibson, son of the well known professional at Westward Ho!
Little was found regarding the club following WW1 but it did re-appear in the mid 1920s. In 1924 visitors fees’ were 3/- a day, 15/- a week, £1 a fortnight, 30/- a month. Ladies 2/-, 10/-, 15/-, 20/- respectively.
In the late 1920s the amateur course record holder was E Hobbs 66.
In 1940 and the club’s final appearance in 1947 the 18 holes had a SSS of 70 and a Par of 65. Course records were, amateur E Hobbs 66 and professional A Smith 65. Visitors were as 1924. Sunday play was not allowed.