Craigellachie Golf Club, Moray.
Initial proposals for a golf club and course at Haughs of Collargreen were made in May 1898. These were carried through and the course opened on the 8th of August 1898.
The earlier club must have become defunct as it was reported in January 1913 that a meeting of the Town Council was held on Thursday 23rd when it was unanimously decided to ask the laird, Mr J R Findlay of Aberlour, if he would be willing to let Haugh for a golf course, and on what terms.
The secretary from the 1920s to the club’s closure was Miss M Carcery and the greenkeeper J McVean. An excellent 9 hole course of 5,000yds laid out alongside the River Spey with magnificent scenery. Visitors’ fees were 1/6d a day, and Sunday play was allowed. The licensed clubhouse also served meals and was just 200yds from the centre of town. The railway station was ½ mile away.
Below is the result of a match played at the Craigellachie Hotel course against Dufftown Golf Club in June 1937. It was stated that this was “the first inter-club match to be played over the Craigellachie Hotel Golf Course”. Mr Jardine Whyte, chairman of Craigellachie Hotel, welcomed the players, and Major Gordon, Dufftown, spoke on behalf of the visitors.
The best nine-hole score was returned by William Wood of Dufftown with a score of 37.
|J Cumming||0||R W Symon||1|
|Reverend D S McKenzie||1||W Wood||0|
|A Ross||0||R McDonald||1|
|J Watt||0||J A S Gordon||1|
|H Humble||1||J Bryson||0|
|J Joice||0||G C Chessor||1|
|P McDonald||1||T Edmund||0|
|P Wilson (half)||0||S W Brodie (half)||0|
|J McKenzie||0||James Smith||1|
|J B McDonald||1||N Scott||0|
|W Treacher||0||J McDonald||1|
|J Lawrence||0||W Gordon||1|
|A G McDonald||1||W H G Gordon||0|
|A Fischer||0||W Shiach||1|
The club continued to the late 1950s although play was suspended during WW2.