Like us on Facebook




Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Llandeilo Golf Club. Carmarthenshire.

Founded 1908/9. Llandeilo (Llandilo early spelling) Golf Club was a 9 hole hilly course just outside the village.

Stations at Llandeilo Bridge 1 ½ mile and Llandeilo ½ mile. Sunday play was not allowed until just prior to WW2. Local hotels were the Cawdor Arms and the Castle. 

 

Secretaries

Professional/greenkeeper

1914

G C Porter, Solicitor.

A Whiting (p) 1909 - 1914

1923/1924

D James, “Frongeg” The Crescent, Llandeilo

W Coombes (p) 1915 - 38

1925/1926

T W Richards, Lloyds Bank, Llandeilo.

 

1940/1947

A D Herbert, Bryn Marlais, Ammanford.

D R Lewis (p&g)

 

Past Captains.

 

Above is the Llandeilo Past Captains Board. This is displayed at the Glynhir Golf Club a few miles from the former Llandeilo Golf Club (apologies for the camera glare). 

In 1914 there was no entry fee. Subs for gents were £2/2/0 and ladies 10/6d. Visitors’ fees were 1/6d a day for gents and 1/- for ladies, 5/- a week 3/- for ladies, 15/- a month 10/- for ladies. In 1923/4 there was a membership of 150.

1925/6 the course records were amateur: Captain W L Roberts and G C Porter (39); professional W Coombes (37).

In 1940 and 1947 the 9 hole course had a SSS of 70 and club membership was about 190. Visitors’ fees were Gents 2/- a day, 7/6d a week, 15/- a month. Ladies 1/6d, 5/-, 10/- respectively.

The club continued until the late 1960s when the secretary was J Trefor Thomas, “The Poplars” 53 Pontamon Road, Ammanford. The professional and greenkeeper was E B King. The 9 hole course had a total length of 5,632yds and a SSS of 67. Visitors’ fees were 5/- a day, 12/6d a week and 25/- a month.

 

The former course.

The Plateau.

 

Former course.

Tee to the centre?

 

During a visit to the site in 2004 the landowner Mr Dewi Thomas gave us a guided tour of the old course and pointed out the areas of many tees and greens which could still be clearly identified. The building foundations of the clubhouse and car park could also be seen. Although the clubhouse itself had been demolished the original step to the entrance to the clubhouse was still in place. The above pictures were taken during the visit.

 

Course location.

Course location.

 

The current Glynhir Golf Club base their history on the former Llandeilo Golf Club.