Barry Golf Club, The Leys, Gileston, St Athan, Vale of Glamorgan.
Founded in 1897/8, initially as a 9-hole course, Barry Golf Club was extended to 18-holes in the mid 1920s. It was situated on the Leys, near the coast bordering the Bristol Channel, close to the village of Gileston. The clubhouse was the old Ship Inn. The club was formed in controversial circumstances, being built illegally on common land. In the early years it was a thriving club with an Artisans Section, who were only allowed in the clubhouse once a year. Exclusive use of the clubhouse was for “Officers and Gentlemen”. The Artisans were only allowed to play on Sundays. Members who did not have the luxury of motor cars in the early days were met at the nearby Gileston railway station by pony and trap.
In 1917 a new professional arrived, by the name of David James Rees. His four year old son, Dai, learned the game there. Dai Rees went on to become a legend in world golf, captaining the British Ryder Cup team which beat America in 1957. David Rees senior remained as professional with the club until 1927, when he was succeeded by F Bailey. In the later years of its life the course was kept in first class condition by greenkeeper Harry Bassett who used a mixture of marl and sand to enhance the wonderful greens.
|1898/99||J Burns (p)|
|1899-1902||J Chitty (p)|
|1902 - 1914||H Prosser (p&g)|
|1906||F N Jones, 14 Parade, Barry|
|1923||R F Illingworth, St Athan||F Bailey (g)|
|1925||T B Whitehead, 29 The Parade, Barry|
|1940||J Andrews, 2 The Grove, Barry||F Bailey (p), G Bassett (g)|
|1947||E E Clarke, 25 Park Road, Barry||W C Hotton (p), H Bassett (g)|
|1951||A T Brown, Caxton House, Cowbridge||A G Lloyd (p)|
|1956||J D Campion, The Cottage, Croes Farm, Pontyclun||C Evans (p), H Bassett (g)|
|1906||Reverend H H Stewart 79||J Chitty 75|
|1923||A Jackson & G S N Carne 68||W Park 62||280|
|1940||K Williams 68|
|1951||A G Lloyd 66||280|
|1956||D Smalldon 63||300|
It was announced in early October 1899 that the autumn meeting would be held on the Saturdays of the 14th and 28th. On Saturday 14th October there would be club events only, the Bailey Cup, currently held by Mr H E Tilston and the Junior cup, for members with a handicap of 15 and over and currently held by Mr P R Warren, entrance fee for both competitions was a hefty two shillings. On Saturday 28th (open events), gentlemen’s medal, first prize £3/2s/0, second prize £1/1s/0 (entrance fee 2/-). A foursome bogey was also arranged. Entries were to be forwarded to the match secretary, Mr D Sibbering Jones, Pen Rhiw, Barry.
Mr P R Warren won both the Bailey and Junior cups at the autumn meeting in October 1899.
Result of the ladies’ monthly medal played on Saturday 5th May 1900; Mrs G T Sibbering, 132-46-86; Mrs A Jackson, 127-36-91; Mrs W Waddell, 133-40-93; Miss Williams, 140-40-100; Mrs Price Jones, 146-44-102; Miss Savours, 172-50-122.
Below is the result of a one sided club match which was played at the Leys on Saturday 7th April 1900, Glamorganshire Golf Club ending up runaway winners. It was also announced that the Barry course had now been extended to 18 holes. There was also a new club professional by the name of J Chitty who had joined the club from Lewes, he was reputed to be an excellent groundsman and coach and played a “first class” game.
|H H Stewart||3||T W Hall||0|
|H M Mortimer||0||C E Morel||3|
|R F Pennyworth||0||C C Thomas||0|
|W J Darling||0||A P Thomas||1|
|H H Powell||0||W Sessions||1|
|L W Jones||0||J G Wilson||7|
|H J C Kirke||0||L Guttwaltz||1|
|R O Jenkins||0||J T Phoenix||9|
|W Waddell||0||J O Alexander||0|
|D Sibbering||0||F J Howell||7|
Result of the Ladies’ Challenge Bracelet played in October 1900; Mrs J C Pardoe, 120-30-90; Mrs W Waddell, 129-27-102; Mrs W Price Jones, 128-26-102; Mrs Alfred Jackson, 130-23-107; Miss Mabel Stewart, 128-20-108. Also in October a Ladies’ Bogey Competition, result as follows; Miss Mabel Stewart (15), 3up; Mrs W Waddell (20), 3up; Miss Stewart (30), 1up; Mrs J C Pardoe (20), all square; Mrs G T Sibbering (20), 6down; Mrs W Price Jones (20), 6down; Mrs Alfred Jackson (17), 6down; Mrs Powell (29), 9down.
Below are the results of competitions held on Saturday 3rd November 1900.
|J G Wilson & Parker Hagarty||8||all square|
|John Hunter & R O Jenkins||8||1down|
|H H Powell & C M Stewart||10||2down|
|W S Vivian & H Irvine||6||2down|
|Rev H H Stewart & J G Walliker||12||2down|
|H J Simpson & J G Thomas||5||3down|
|A Jackson & T H Anderson||13||5down|
|W J Darling & T Keen||17||6down|
|R F Illingworth & F E Aitken||11||6down|
|T W Hall & C Carey Thomas||10||8down|
|C Carey Thomas||88||16||72||H Lashmore||97||12||85|
|D Sibbering Jones||97||22||75||T H Anderson||99||14||85|
|Parker Hagarty||82||4||78||J G Thomas||91||5||86|
|John Hunter||84||4||80||T W Hall||97||11||86|
|R O Jenkins||99||18||81||H H Powell||103||16||87|
|T Keen||105||24||81||A Jackson||108||20||88|
|L W Jones||93||12||81||J A Hughes||118||30||88|
|H J Taylor||113||30||83||W J Darling||111||22||89|
|H J Simpson||92||7||85||C M Stewart||99||10||89|
|J G Wilson||101||16||85|
Below is the result of a club match played on Saturday 8th December 1900 against Porthcawl at the Leys.
|Rev H H Stewart||0||W S Vivian (capt)||3|
|C M Stewart||3||Captain Wilkins||0|
|H H Powell||4||H O Irvine||0|
|Lewis Jones||2||J Fergus||0|
|R F Illingworth||0||G A Woods||1|
|D Sibbering Jones (capt)||0||Lewis Thomas||4|
|W Waddell||0||J G Wilson||1|
|W J Darling||3||R Eaton||0|
|F E Aitken||0||Wyndham Jenkins||6|
|J P Edmunds||0||G F C Woods||0|
In 1914 there was no entry fee and subs were £2/2/0. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 10/- a week, 20/- a month. By 1956, fees had risen to 3/6d per day, 5/- a day at weekends and Bank Holidays, 21/- a week and 42/- a month.
Below is the result of a match played at the Leys against Aberavon & Port Talbot Golf Club (also now defunct.)
|Barry Golf Club (Seconds)||Aberavon & Port Talbot Golf Club|
|T H Williams||1||J H Cound||0|
|W Price Jones||0||E M Jenkins||1|
|J E Morris||1||S G O'Sullivan||0|
|R F Illingworth||1||Percy Jacobs||0|
|N Middle||1||R T Price Jones||0|
|F W Alexander||1||E T Tennant||0|
|E M Griffiths (half)||0||Dr Richards (half)||0|
|T James||1||E O'Sullivan||0|
1923 Visitors’ fees were now 2/6d a day, weekends 5/- a day, 10/- a week, 30/- a month. Ladies 2/-, 3/6d, 7/6d, 20/- respectively.
The images below for the Barry Golf Club are taken from a 1930s booklet.
1940 the course had a SSS and Par of 72. Visitors’ fees for weekdays, gents 2/6d a day (1/6d after 5pm), weekends 3/6d a day, 10/6d a week, 30/- a month, ladies 2/- a day (1/6d after 5pm), weekends 3/6d, 7/6d a week, 20/- a month.
1947 Visitors’ fees 3/6d a day, 5/- a day at weekends and Bank Holiday, 21/- a week and 42/- a month.
Thanks to Mrs Dilys Thomas, who recalls that, during World War II, flares were lit on the golf course by airmen from the nearby RAF camp at St Athan to mislead the enemy away from the RAF camp.
1956 The 18 hole course now had a SSS of 69. Old habits were still hanging on to the bitter end, as the residential club was for men only.
In 1957 the club was wound up in somewhat controversial circumstances, and a sum of £27,500 was paid by Central Electric Authority for the course and buildings. An unsuccessful attempt was made to re-establish the club at Summerhouse point.
The money from the Electricity Authority was used to pay redundancies to club employees, and the remainder divided between members, each of the 133 full playing male members and 80 full playing lady members receiving £133.16s, and other membership levels receiving pro rata payments, even the child members.
It was originally envisaged that the power station would be a relatively short term project and that the site would eventually revert to an area of outstanding natural beauty. The power station still survives after over fifty years.
Although this was the end for Barry Golf Club the Barry Artisans carried on for several more years.