Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


South Herefordshire Golf Club, Colwall Park.

The original Colwall Park Golf Club was founded in 1908 and was located at Colwall Park, on the Ledbury side of the Malvern Hills. At this time the professional until 1909 was W E Hobley. This original course ran from the railway station near the racecourse along to Evendine Lane. The clubhouse was a black and white building known as Stone Holt (or Halt), next to Colwall Hotel.   

The new Colwall Park course was formally opened on Friday 24th April 1908 with a match between former Open Champions James Braid, Walton Heath, and J H Taylor, Mid Surrey. Due to overnight snow playing conditions were difficult in the morning match play which was won by Briad by 4 & 3 (scores; Braid, 83, and Taylor, 85). In the afternoon a four ball foursome was played between Taylor and G H Cawsey (Malvern) against Braid and A J Hobley (Cheltenham). It was reported that due to a heavy snowstorm only eight holes were played and the match finished all square.

In 1909 the secretary at Colwall Park was A V Holman.

Colwall Park had disappeared by 1912.

 

Colwall Park.

Above is a map of Colwall Park showing the Race Course in 1905 (prior to the laying out of the golf course). Colwall Station is towards the top centre. Reproduced from {1905} Ordnance Survey Map.

 

In 1912 an 18-hole course was laid out on Old Castle Banks for the South Herefordshire Golf Club. The club professional was George Weager. The secretary was Chales E Capon, Telegram “Heregolf” telephone number Colwall 65. A Smith was the club steward. A clubhouse was erected in 1913 and this house is now known as Red Roofs.

 

Thirteenth green.

A pre-WW1 photo by Tilley of Ledbury of the South Herefordshire Golf Club 13th Green.

 

It was reported in August 1919 that the 1,100 acre Barton Court and Colwall Park Estate which included the Barton Court mansion house, racecourse and golf course was to be auctioned at the Star Hotel, Worcester, on 3rd September 1919. 

South Herefordshire Golf Club disappeared in about 1920. 

The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the former South Herefordshire course.

 


View United Kingdom in a larger map