Bexhill-on-Sea Golf Club, Sussex.
The club was founded in 1890. The professional in 1893/4 was H Britt and from 1894 to 1896 G Britt.
In January 1891 came the return of mild weather which enabled work to progress on the “Bexhill Golf Ground”. Mr Balfour, the chief secretary, accepted the position of hon. captain and the Hon. Gilbert Sackville had become a member.
On Saturday 7th February 1891 the inaugural club dinner was held at the club-room at the Sackville Hotel, Bexhill. There was a very elite assembly including; Viscount Cantelupe, chairman; Mr Robert Keep, founder of the club; Mr Hardwicke, club secretary; Colonel H Lane; C A Egerton; Lieut H L M Dunn; Captain Matthews; Dr Hunt; Dr Carter; Mr Penrose-Warren; E O Burbidge; Mr Sutherland- Graeme and many others.
A general meeting was held at the Sackville Hotel on Tuesday 5th September 1893. It was announced that the Duc de Llitta had given a handsome silver cup, to be known as the “Italia” to the club.
On Wednesday 28th March 1894 the competition for the Italia Cup took place in fine weather, there were 16 entrants, result as follows; A MacGregor, 106-20-86; Rev F W Pawson, 116-27-89; A E MacDonnell, 107-17-90; H N Fowler, 113-22-91; N G MacGregor, 104-12-92; D H Benwell, 121-27-94; W C Beeching, 126-30-96; W J Harris, 116-20-96; Dr G Garrard, 110-12-98; W G Carpenter, 136-36-100.
Below, result of a club match played at Seaford on Wednesday 27th March 1895.
|Captain Nugent||0||H S Colt||0|
|Hugh Thomson||2||W G McGregor||0|
|Davenport Knight||0||G Garrand||7|
|W M Cundell||3||J H Escoline||0|
|O E Winston||0||M Makalua||2|
|W Lambe||5||Rev H H Fowler||0|
|L Crawshay||0||H McDougall||0|
In January 1902 the Garforth Cup and momento was won by E J Chippendale.
The following is taken from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; Secretary, G Graham; captain, Dr Murdock; Number of members 180; Entrance fee, £4/4s and subs £2/2s; Professional course record Douglas Rolland, 73 on November 2nd 1897; Amateur course record G N Richardson 73, on June 14th 1902. "The course is a sporting one and the hazards consist of sand bunkers, pot bunkers and ditches. There are 7 holes on the sea side of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, and 11 holes on the north side of the railway. The course is beautifully situated close to the sea and the turf is excellent."
In 1906 the secretary was George Graham and the professional was Douglas Rolland who had been at the club since 1897. Course records were, amateur G Noble Richardson with a score of 68 and professional A Mitchell 65. Visitors’ fees were 2/6 a day, 5/- for 3 days, 10/- a week, 20/- a month.
Also in 1906 was the Bexhill Ladies Golf Club. The secretary was Miss A L Tyrrwhitt Drake, Bexhill-on-Sea. This was stated to be a 9 hole course although its not clear whether it was a separate course or if the ladies played over the main course. The professional was Douglas Rolland. The Ladies Amateur record was held by Miss A Wallis with a score of 35. Bexhill ladies club was also in existence in 1913 when the secretary was Miss Parsons, 111 Dorset Road, Bexhill. A membership of 127. Entry fees were £1/11/6 and subs £1/11/6.
In 1906 James Braid and J H Taylor played an exhibition match over the Bexhill course.
Below is the result of a ladies’ match played at Tunbridge Wells on the Culverden course (now defunct) on Monday 4th November 1907.
|Miss Andrews||1||Miss A Wallis||0|
|Mrs R Homan||1||Miss A T Drake||0|
|Miss Beeching||1||Mrs Richardson||0|
|Miss Vanderzee||0||Mrs Barker||1|
|Miss Homan||1||Mrs Saison||0|
|Miss R Boddington||0||Miss Hickens||1|
|Miss Satire||1||Miss Parsons||0|
In 1913 the professional was J H Jones, from 1914 and into the 1920s Tom Gillespie. There was a membership of 400 gents and 187 ladies (Bexhill Ladies Golf Club did not appear as a separate club) The entry fee was £3/3/0 and the subs £3/3/0. Visitors' fees 2/6 a day, 3 days 6/6, 12/- a week, 20/- a fortnight, 30/- a month. Sunday play was allowed with caddies.
The secretary just prior to WW1 and into the 1920s was H W G Crawford at The Golf Club, Bexhill. "An 18 hole challenging course with hazards consisting of sand bunkers, pot bunkers and ditches. The local advertised hotel was the Riposo which was situated on the sea front, 2 minutes from the golf links and clubhouse. The station at Bexhill on Sea was ½ mile away mile and Hastings 5 miles"
The third annual general meeting of the shareholders was held on Saturday 13th February 1915. In the annual report the amount raised in green fees was £1,089 and for subs and entrance fees £936/16s. The club membership was; Ladies 190; Gentlemen 254. It was decided that all members on active service should not be liable for subs for the present year. Sir Ernest Birch was elected as president.
The annual meeting was held on Saturday 17th February 1917, Sir Ernest Woodford Birch, K.C., C.M.G was re-elected president. The captaincy was left open for the present. The annual report showed an improved financial position. The green fees also showed an increase.
The original clubhouse was south of the railway line and was originally known as Marine Cottages, it was extended in 1912. It survived the two World Wars but was demolished in 1966.
In 1922 the professional was Arthur Mitchell and the greenkeeper E Vidler. There was a membership of 460. Visitors’ fess from the 1st October to 30th June were, 3/6 a day, 5/- at weekend, £1/2/6 a week, £1/15/0 a fortnight, £3 a month. From 1st July to 30th September 4/- a day, 6/6 at weekend, £1/8/0 a week, £2/10/0 a fortnight, £3/10/0 a month.
At the annual meeting held on Saturday 11th February 1928 it was reported that Earl De La Warr, the landlord, had again kindly made a reduction of £200 in the rent, reducing the loss on the year to £272/5s/8½d as compared with £306/9/10½ in the previous year. It was stated that if the club continued to exist solely on the generosity of Earl De La Warr the end must surely come.
Below is the result of two matches played against Nevill Golf Club On Saturday June 4th 1932.
Match played at Nevill.
|H N Brooks||1||J H Greer||0|
|A J Mitchell||1||C S Parker||0|
|J S Hollis||1||E Austin||0|
|W F Haward||1||Major T T Oaks||0|
|Colonel R Taylor||1||E J G Smee||0|
|R N Torpy (half)||0||J M Ilott (half)||0|
|R P O Knox||1||G F Herron||0|
|Jan McDowall||1||Lieut-Col T Leeson Ball||0|
Match played at Bexhill.
|Major R J Cargell||1||G H Blanksby||0|
|J T Scotson||0||T W J Noel Thomas||1|
|Surgeon-Captain J A Moon R.N||0||Col E Boileau||1|
|Brig-General Marshall||0||H Odell||1|
|D H Frazer||1||R Woods||0|
|G E J Foster||1||J S Cowling||1|
|Lieut-Col C W Bowie||0||E T Morris||1|
|Lieut-Col F S Dallas||0||E C H Thomas||1|
Below is the result of a match played at Bexhill against Nevill on Saturday April 24th 1934.
|Major Oaks||0||G R Kinder (3&2)||1|
|W N Cuthbert||0||W F Haward (1up)||1|
|J W Revell (2up)||1||H Churchill||0|
|Dr O'Malley||0||A J Haward (4&2)||1|
|C W Parker||0||J S Hollis (1up)||1|
|General Marshall||0||C W Snazell (4&3)||1|
|Surgeon-Captain Moon (half)||0||F S Harries (half)||0|
|C C Austen (half)||0||G S Clayton (half)||0|
Characters on above image - Top left to right - Neville Medley, Secretary; Dr A Murdoch, Captain 1904/5; Mrs E Lawrence, Ladies' Captain; Brig.-Gen. H Marshall C.B., Committee; Lt.-Col. T Leeson Ball.
Middle - F A Scott, Committee; Councillor W N Cuthbert, Captain 1933/4/5; Maj.-Gen. R S Hannay C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., Committee; A R Ingram, Committee; Major T T Oakes, plays right handed putts left.
Bottom - W G Morant, Vice-President; W E Hooper; Arthur Mitchell, The Professional (Cousin of Abe Mitchell); P C H de Satgê, Committee; F C Sheppard, Committee; J B Duncan, Committee.
Centre - One of the two giant periscopes on the course, through which one may watch others footling ahead at the blind holes.
Below is the result of a match played at Bexhill Golf and Sports Club against Nevill Golf Club on 1st April 1939.
|Bexhill Sports and Golf Club||Nevill Golf Club|
|J S Jonstone & Captain J B Haly (3&1)||1||W J Hatcher & H A Stevens||0|
|Dr J P O'Malley & F R Hobbs||0||G Scott Page & C W Snazell (4&3)||1|
|J H Walton & Colonel J S Barger||0||F S Harries & H Churchill (3&2)||1|
|C E Emerson & General H Marshall||0||F G Plummer & H G Wallis (5&4)||1|
Below results of two matches played against Nevill Golf Club on Saturday 10th June 1939.
Singles played at Nevill.
|Nevill Golf Club||Bexhill Golf and Sports Club|
|W J Hatcher (7&6)||1||J S Johnstone||0|
|G E Work (1up)||1||A R Fielder||0|
|H Churchill (5&3)||1||M B Drake Lee||0|
|C W Snazell (4&3)||1||R Worthington||0|
|Dr J E H Cogan||0||F R Hobbs (4&3)||1|
|H G Wallis (4&2)||1||C V Bailey||0|
|F G Plummer||0||Major T T Oakes (1up)||1|
|D H Dabbs (1up)||1||A L Purnell||0|
Fourballs played at Bexhill.
|Bexhill Golf & Sports Club||Nevill Golf Club|
|J H Walton & Colonel T Kelly (3&2)||1||E C H Thomas & T N Strange||0|
|Commander B C Martin & C G May||0||G T Dean & A L J Ewbank (4&3)||1|
|L G Peake & E J G Smee (5&4)||1||Colonel E Boileau & Dr W J Rankine||0|
|J E Barker & General H Marshall (4&2)||1||E D Strain & H E Odell||0|
Result of a ladies’ match played at Bexhill against Hastings Downs on Monday 12th June 1939.
|Bexhill Ladies||Hastings Downs Ladies|
|Mrs Cross||0||Mrs Blackman (4&2)||1|
|Mrs Heisch||0||Mrs Bradman (3&2)||1|
|Mrs Urquhart||0||Mrs Skinner (5&4)||1|
|Mrs Tullerton (4&2)||1||Mrs Bennett||0|
|Mrs Simpkin||0||Mrs Taylor (7&6)||1|
|Miss Robinson||0||Mrs Finlay (4&3)||1|
|Miss Prenderville||0||Mrs Clennett (2&1)||1|
In 1940 and 1947 it was listed as the Bexhill Golf and Sports Club, telephone number 431. The secretary was Major A H Vergin, telephone 2112. The professional was Arthur Mitchell and the greenkeeper E Vidler. The 18 hole course had a SSS of 72 and a membership of 430. Course records were, amateur Captain J B Haly 70, professional A D Locke 64. Visitors’ fees were now 3/6 a day, 5/- a day at weekend and Bank Holiday.
The above information is taken from the Golfer's Handbook. It is sometimes the case that the information provided in these volumes may not have been updated at the time of WW2. We have been informed by a relation that the secretary listed, Major A H Vergin, was not actually at the club on the above dates. He did however serve as secretary during the 1930s.
The link below shows the Bexhill course and is taken from Britain From Above.
Bexhill disappeared shortly after the above date. Most of the land has been used for building although some of the features can still be made out on the land nearest the sea.