Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Ash Hall Golf Club, Bucknall, Staffs. (1920s -WW2)

The Hall and estate were created in the Victorian era by Job Meigh. Job was a pottery manufacturer in Hanley. The property passed through the family, ending with his great grandson William Mellor Meigh 2nd who died in 1922, followed by his wife a year later.

The estate was broken up by 1925, and the Hall was purchased by a builder named James Grant. He converted the Hall to a hotel and laid out a nine hole golf course in the grounds.

The Golf Club was formed in 1930.

Sixteen golfers played in the first monthly medal on Saturday February 1st 1930, leading scores; W H Carlisle, 91-18-73; W H Critchlow, 94-16-78; G Creyke, 97-18-79; S Goodwin, 99-18-81.

It was reported in March 1930 that three new holes were being constructed as well as new bunkers being added. There were 16 entries in the monthly medal. Best scores; W H Critchlow, 89-16-73; S Kind, 81-6-75. 

Result of the June 1930 monthly medal; P Creyke, 87-18-69; W H Critchlow, 82-12-70; J Bailey, 97-24-73.

 

Interior of the Ash Hall Golf Club lounge.

 

The impressive Lounge of Ash Hall, Golf Links Hotel.

 

Location of the Ash Hall Golf Club course.

 

Location of the Ash Hall golf course in 1937.

Grid reference SJ92830,47215, co-ordinates 392830,347215.