Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Tunstall Golf Club, Sunderland, Durham. (1909 - 1918)

Founded in 1909.

It was reported in December 1913 that the new clubhouse had been opened by Mr Samuel Storey.

In 1914 the joint secretaries were J F Hedley and J MacDonald, 59 John Street, Sunderland. The professional was J Dick. Entry fee was £1/1/0. Subs for gents were £2/12/6 and ladies £1/1/0. A 9 hole course. Visitors were only allowed on introduction at 1/- a day, 2/- a day at weekend, 2/6 a week, 7/6 a month. Ladies were not allowed to play after 12.00 on Saturday. Sunday play was allowed without caddies.  The station at Sunderland was 2 miles away.

The club survived the onset of WW1.

In 1916 an advert appeared in the local paper for a temporary green-keeper; good wage to suitable man - Apply; F A Milburn, 17 Fawcett Street.

Despite its best endeavours the club would not survive. Below selling the clubhouse.

"For immediate sale, due to ploughing-up, the pavilion of the Tunstall Golf Club. Erected in 1913 timber built, iron roof, in perfect condition, about 51 feet by 25 feet, well adapted for re-erection either as a golf-house, or for conversion for canteen for military, munition, or similar purposes - Apply, French Brothers, 4 Frederick Street, Sunderland." 


Tunstall Golf Club, Sunderland. Location of the former course in the 1920s.

Tunstall Golf Club disappeared shortly after WW1, the above map shows the course in the early 1920s.

Grid reference NZ38775,54415, co-ordinates 438775,554415.