Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Hedon Golf Club, East Riding. (1900s)

It was announced in February 1904 that a golf club had been formed and that land on the racecourse had been secured for the golf links. The racecourse, which is long gone, was located to the west of the town near Twyers Hill. It was stated that the ground was exceptionally well drained and was perfectly suited to golf. The joint secretaries were Mr W T Ayre and Mr G Leonard and the treasurer was Mr G B Newton. The club had a membership of 80 and subs were £1 per year.

The club was formally opened on Saturday April 11th 1904. Colonel White called upon Stanley Wilson MP to open the nin- hole course. In a short speech Mr Wilson wished the club every success in the future. He then proceeded to hit the opening shot with a driver presented to him by Mr F M Jackson of Welton. A foursome was then played by Mr F M Jackson and Mr G V Tuck (club’s professional) against Mr D M Smith and Mr F McGregor. The latter were beaten 4 and 2.

Grid reference TA17735,29150, co-ordinates 517735,429150.