Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Pickering Golf Club. (1901 - 1940)

The club was founded 1901.

The club was originally known as Pickering and Thornton Dale Golf Club. The club was re-organised in 1906 and had moved location to the Beacon Hill area of the town.

The opening of the course in November 1901.

 

Pickeriing Golf Club, Yorkshire. Opening of the Golf Links in November 1901.

Whitby Gazette Friday 22nd November 1901. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

In the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook it was listed as Pickering Golf Club. A nine-hole course the secretary was H Coverdale, 4 Market Place, Pickering, the captain was C N Colman. Club membership of 40. There was no entrance fee and the subs were 10s/6d, ladies 5/-. Visitors' fees 1/- a day, 2/6 a week, 5/- a month. The station at Pickering was a quarter of a mile from the course. "The course is considered a fine one. Bogey for the nine holes is 39. Best time to play October to May."

Result of the monthly bogey competition played at the Pickering club on Saturday 24th August 1907; F Caldeleugh, 1up; H F Stevens, all square; R Stork, 1down; R Pamley, 3down; H Coverdale, 8down. 

 

Pickering Golf Club, Yorkshire. The Castle from the golf course in 1909.

The above postcard was posted in 1909 and shows the Castle from the Golf Links.

 

In 1914 the secretary was T Swain. A 9-hole course with a membership of 40. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were 10/6 and ladies 5/-. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 2/6 a week and 5/- a month. Sunday play was not allowed. 

The club seems to have gone into abeyance following WW1.

The next appearance was in 1927 when Pickering Golf Club appears there was no Thornton Dale in the name now. This later course was in the Beacon Hill area of the town.

The secretary from 1927 to the early 1930s was Harold Hill, Beacon Park, Pickering and the green-keeper T Milner.  A 9-hole course. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a round of 9 holes, 2/- a day and 5/- a week. Sunday play was now permitted. Pickering station was just 4 minutes away. Local advertised hotels were the White Swan and the Black Swan.

The annual meeting was held in the Conservative Club in September 1928, Superintendant Calvert presided. Mr H Hill reported that the club had had a most successful season. The following officers were elected; secretary H Hill; treasurer, R Pamley; ladies' secretary, Mr C Boulton; captain, T Swain; ladies' captain, Miss B Frank.

In May 1932 E H Weighill, club professional, established a new course record of 67, three under bogey.

In 1932 the secretary was R H Boak, 8 Birdgate, Pickering. The professional was E H Weighill and the green-keeeper was M Blanchard. Membership at this time was 50.

Below is the result of a match played at Driffield in July 1934.

Driffield Golf Club   Pickering Golf Club  
G Thirsk (half) 0 Mr Howard (half) 0
J McD Hodgson 0 Mr Swales 1
H Crowther 1 Mr Henderson 0
T B Glover 1 Mr J H Dove (club captain) 0
F Evans 0 Mr Paine 1
L M Du Pre 0 Mr Mowforth 1
A Shouler 1 Mr Hyde 0
F Margetts (half) 0 Mr Johnson (half) 0
N Glover 1 Mr Ruston 0
Harry Leason 1 Mr Boak 0
H Shouler 1 Mr Coates 0
C Websdale (professional) 0 E H Weighill (professional) 1
  6   4

 

In the early-mid 1930s membership had risen to 80. The professional was E H Weighill who held the course record of 65, five strokes under bogey. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a round of 18 holes, 2/6 a day, 5/- a week. Sunday play was allowed.

In October 1934 the club's professional, Capt. E H Weighill set a new course record of 63, as follows; 3,4,4,4,4,4,3,3,3 = 32; 2,4,4,3,4,4,4,3,3 = 31; total 63.

At the annual meeting, held in the Conservative Club in November 1934, chaired by Mr F Austin Hyde, it was announced that the income was a new record. For the first time in the history of the club over £100 had been received in subscriptions. There were 82 members. Sir Paul Latham M.P., was elected president; Roland Henry R Boak, secretary; R Pamley, treasurer.

The same officers were elected at the annual meeting in November 1935.  

In March 1937 Mr R H Boak, who had been club secretary for 10 years, was presented with a cheque and clock on the occasion of his marriage.

At the annual dance at the Memorial Hall in December 1937 the following prizes were presented; Presidents Cup - winner H Blake, runner-up T J Dove; Captain's Prize - winner T Swain, runner-up, R Boak. 

In 1937/8 the course records were; amateur, L W Chapman, 65; professional E Weighill, 62.

In 1940 the nine-hole course had a par of 64 and a SSS of 62. The green-keeper was G Ellerker. Club membership at the time was 80. 

It was reported in February 1946 that Pickering Golf Club was to be re-formed, it was hoped that the course would be ready for play in April. In order to give the club a start twenty supporters were asked to loan £5 free of interest. R H Boak and D W Johnson were elected joint secretary and treasurer.  

Nothing further was found.

 

Pickering Golf Club, Yorkshire. Beacon Hill course.

Cattle grazing on the old course near Beacon Hill.

 

Pickering Golf Club, Yorkshire. Beacon Hill course in 2004.

The later Pickering course; pictures taken in November 2004.

 

Pickering & Thornton Dale Golf Club, Yorkshire. Location of the first course.

Location of the Pickering and Thornton Dale course. Grid reference, SE81955,83255, co-ordinates, 481955,483225.

 

The Google Map below pinpoints Beacon Park location of the later Pickering course.