Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Helmsley & District Golf Club, Becketts Bank, North Yorks. (1908 - 1930s)

Founded in 1908.

In 1914 the secretary was Ernest Creighton, Becketts Bank, Helmsley. The professional was J Johnson. A 9-hole course at at Arriere Terre on fine turf with natural hazards. Originally a private course handed over to the club by the Earl of Faversham. A further claim to fame for the club was that King George V played there. Club membership at this time was 30. There was no entry fee. Subs were 7/6. Visitors’ fees were 2/6 a week. Sunday play was not allowed. The LNER Station was 2 mile away.

From 1923 to 1932 the secretary was Arthur Sharp, Pottergate, Helmsley. Telephone number 9. The club had a membership of 50. In 1926 the amateur course record was held by A Sharp with a score of 38.Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day, 6/- a week and 20/- a month. Local hotels were the Faversham Arms, Royal Oak and the Black Swan.

 

Helmsley & District Golf Club, Becketts Bank. Golf course location.

Location of the Helmsley course. Grid reference SE57670,85820, co-ordinates 457670,485820.

 

 

Helmsley Golf Club disappeared in the mid 1930s.