Hovingham Golf Club, North Yorkshire. (1899 - WW1)

On the 7th January 1899 a golf club for Hovingham and district was formed. Sir W H A Worsley was the first captain. The club was to be called the “Hovingham Hall Golf Club” The course was to be laid out in Sir William Worsley’s park at Hovingham. Captain Phillips was the treasurer and secretary, Sir William Worsley and Mr Day formed the green committee. At this time just seven members had joined the club, which was due to open in February. The entrance fee was £2.2.0 and the subs £1.1.0.

At the end of February 1899 there was a good attendance to see Sir William drive the first ball to open the course. It was stated to be “One of the finest inland courses in the North of England”

From the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; Instituted 1889; Membership of 40; Hon. secretary, B Day; Captain, Sir W H A Worsley, Bart.;Entrance fee £1/1s and Subs £1/1s; Green-keeper, W Judson; Nine-holes; Station at Hovingham Spa quarter of a mile. An inland course with natural bunkers, situated amongst picturesque scenery in the North Riding of Yorkshire.

In 1906 the secretary was Bingley Day at the Estate Office, Hovingham, York. A 9-hole course. Course records were, amateur Captain G F Phillips with a score of 38 and professional Ernest Jones 34. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 5/- a week and 15/- a month. The station at Hovingham Spa was 5 minutes away. Local hotel was the Worsley Arms.

 

Hovingham Golf Club, North Yorkshire. Hovingham Hall in the 1900s.

Hovingham Hall, home of Sir Willliam Worsley, is marked in the centre of the above map (no golf course marked.) Reproduced from the {1911} Ordnance Survey Map.

 

In 1914 the secretary was still B Day, Hovingham, Malton. The greenkeeper was W Judson. The club had a membership of 30. The entry fee was £1/1/0 and the subs £1/1/0. Sunday play allowed after noon without caddies.

Hovingham Golf Club disappeared after WW1.

The Google Map below pinpoints Hovingham Park, location of the former Hovingham golf course.