Kirkbymoorside & District Golf Club, North Yorkshire. (1907 - WW2)

The earlier club was founded in 1907 and continued until the time of WW2.

In the early years it was often referred to as Kirbymoorside Golf Club.

 

Kirkbymoorside Golf Club, North Yorks. The Fourth Green.

Kirbymoorside Golf Course the fourth green. Hayes Series.

 

Kirkbymoorside Golf Club, North Yorks. The Sixth tee.

Kirbymoorside Golf Course The sixth tee. Above images courtesy of Frank Accleton golfonoldpicturepostcards.com

 

Result of the monthly stroke competition played on Saturday 9th May 1908; J C Frank jnr, 100-24-76; M Walsh, 97-16-81; W P Frank, 93-12-81; Dr Murphy, 104-12-92; H Glover, 126-30-96.

 

Kirkbymoorside and District Golf Club, Yorkshire. Illustrated and Sporting News August 1912.

Note the spelling – Kirbymoorside.

 

Kirkbymoorside and District Golf Club, Yorkshire. Illustrated and Sporting News August 1912.

From The Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News August 1912. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

In 1913 the joint secretaries were H Glover and T W Tetley. In 1914 H Glover was still one of the joint secretaries along with T Isherwood, and the professional W Reeve. A 9-hole natural golf course with fine scenery, there was an added bonus of good trout fishing. Club membership was 100. Entry fee was 10/6. Subs for gents were 21/-, ladies 15/-.Visitors’ fees 1/6 a day, 5/- a week and 15/-a month. Sunday play was not allowed. The station was ¼ mile away.

During the 1920s and 1930s the secretary was T Isherwood, Beagle House, Kirkbymoorside and the green-keeper J Garbutt. Visitors’ fees were now 2/6 a day with Sunday play allowed. Local hotels were the Kings Head, Black Swan and White Swan. 

In 1940 the joint secretaries were T Isherwood and L Lascelles and the professional S Wilson. There was a club membership of 100. The station at Kirkbymoorside was now 1 ½ miles away.

The current Kirkbymoorside club and course was formed in the 1950s.

 

Kirkbymoorside & District Golf Club. The Golf Course location in 1912.

Map of the course location in 1912 (Reproduced from the {1912} Ordnance Survey Map). The earlier portion of the course to the east of Low Knoll is clearly marked

 

Kirkbymoorside & District Golf Club. Location of the former course.

The earlier Kirkbymoorside club played on a section of the course to the east of Low Knoll continuing down towards the Castle.

 

The Google Map below pinpoints the area of the former course to the east of Low Knoll. The later Kirkbymoorside course is to the west.