Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Knavesmire Golf Club, York. (1904 - 1915)

The course at Knavesmire was originally used by York Golf Club from 1890 until 1904.

York Golf Club moved to Strenshall in 1904. It was at this time that the  Knavesmire Golf Club came into being and took over the old York Golf Club course.

By 1915 the course was being used by the Royal Flying Corps as an airfield. The assets and appliances of the Knavesmire Golf Club were transferred to York Institute Golf Club in 1920.

The current Pike Hills Golf Club were allowed by the R&A to base their 1904 centenary on both the Knavesmire Golf Club and the Railway Institute Golf Club which was situated on Hob Moor (see separate entry)

In the monthly qualifying competition for the Ware Cup in July 1900 it was stated that the “greens were in excellent condition, but the course was difficult owing to the long grass” Mr J Edmund Jones won with a score of 95 – 14 – 81. In September a further qualifier for the Ware Cup was played, Mr J Melrose won with a score of 86 – 12 – 74. A Mitchell, A A Ashworth and ? Thompson also returned scores.

In 1906 the secretary was Thomas W L Terry, Trentholme, The Mount, York and the professional G Bradley. A 9-hole course. No introduction needed for members of recognised clubs, fees were 1/- a day, 2/6 a week and 5/- a month. York Station was 1 ½ miles away. Local advertised hotels were  Harker’s, Royal and the Station.

In 1913 the secretary was H Buttifant, and in 1914, H G Fowler, Albemare Road, York. Assistant secretary W H Webb, 13 New Street, York. The professional  was Charles Doughty (1907 - 1919). The club had a membership of about 70.  The entry fee was 10s/6d. Subs for gents were £1/1/0 and ladies 10/6. Sunday play was not allowed.

At the annual meeting held on Friday 14th February 1913 Mr J Watkinson was presiding. The annual report was presented by Mr Buttifant who stated that membership stood at 66, a decrease on the year of 15. During 1912 twenty three new members were elected, 16 gents and 7 ladies, as against 14 in 1911, an increase in new membership of 9. There had however, been 38 resignations as against 27 in 1911. These resignations were mainly accounted for by members transferring to Heworth and other clubs. It was reported that the course was in as good a state as might reasonably be expected. There was a balance in hand of £5/14s/5d. Competition winners for the year; The Lycett Green Cup, Walter Langstaff; The Ware Cup, Mr H G Fowler; The monthly spoon winners; 1912- February, Mr W Mas??r; March, Frank Shaw; April, F P Rawling; May, H Buttery; June, Thomas Roe; July, Horace D Lace; September, G T Wells; October, E Howard Tye; November, W V Hargrave. The one ladies competition was the spoon in May, won by Miss Linn.

On Wednesday 7th January 1914 a silver cup was presented for competition by Mr Walter Longstaffe, a well-known York golfer and sportsman. The 36-hole competition was played over the nine-hole Knavesmire course for the professional championship of York, result as follows; H Allen, 38+41+38+41 =158; E Cheal, 44+41+41+43 =169; E Major, 45+44+43+38 =170. The bogey score for the course was 41. 

 

Knavesmire Golf Club, York. Location of the former course.

The Knavesmire club was located on York Race Course. Grid reference SE59245,49020, co-ordinates 459245,449020.