Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Normanton Golf Club, Yorkshire. (1903 - 1991)

Founded in 1903.

The 9-hole course was at Syndale Road, Normanton, it continued at this location up until the late 1990s.

The final of The Garforth Cup was played in May 1920. The hon. secretary, A N Green, beat the club captain, F M Beaumont.

In January 1924 the Jackson Cup was won by J Mitchell. 

In July 1924 E Evans, professional at Normanton, left the club to take up a similar position at Skipton Golf Club. 

Mr Edwin Harry Hudson who was prominent in the gas industry in Normanton, was a founder member, and president of the club in the 1930s.

In June 1934 K A Fossey won the stroke competition for the Captain's Cup with a score of 71. The runner-up was W Hanson, 72.

In 1947 the secretary was F Stephens, Currer Grove, Whitwood, Normanton and the green-keeper E Best. The course had a SSS and Par of 68. Membership of 50. Visitor’s fees were 1/- a day. Sunday play was allowed after 1pm.

In the mid 1960s the secretary was J Bird, the professional and greenkeeper was A A Matthews. The Par was now 72, membership was just 30. Visitor paid 3/- a day.

In 1982 the secretary was R P Whincup. The total course measured 6,019 yards and had a SSS of 69. Membership was now 150. Visitors’ fees £2.

In 1991 the secretary was J McElhinney and the professional M Evans. The course now measured 5,284 yards with a SSS of 66. Course records amateur, S Turner 68, professional A Dyson 67. Visitors’ fees £4.50, weekend and  bank holidays £8.50.

 

Normanton Golf Club, Yorkshire. Location of the former golf course.

Location of the earlier Normanton course. Grid reference SE39635,22330, co-ordinates 439635,422330.

 

 

The club now play at Hatfield Hall, Wakefield.