Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Handforth Golf Club. (1894)

The course opened on Saturday 14th April 1894.

Similar to its neighbour at Holmes Chapel the Handforth club, which opened with much optimism, had a very short life.

The following report is from the Manchester Courier on Tuesday 17th April 1894 – “Handforth Golf Club – These links were formally opened on Saturday last by the vice-president, Sir F Forbes Adams, in the unavoidable absence of the president, Mr Coningsby Disraeli, M.P. After luncheon in the pavilion, which was attended by a large number of the members, Sir F F Adams drove the first ball from the tee with a handsome driver presented to him by the club as a momento of the occasion. The links, which are under the charge of J l’Anson, formerly of St Annes, are in excellent condition considering the time that the club has been in existence. The putting greens are in very good order. The club has already over 100 ordinary members and a considerable number of lady members.”

On Saturday 16th June 1894 a competition was played for a silver cup presented by the captain, Mr C Edmonson. It was reported that “Several holes on the course are capital, but the first and last, with a stretch of grass from two to three feet high, can hardly be considered golf. That being so it will not be difficult for members of the club to reconcile themselves to a change of venue. It is hoped that their negotiations for a new and superior course will be successful. We were pleased to note that several prominent members of the peerage had apparently taken part in the competition, these including, it would seem; Marquess of Tweedale, Lord Edmonson, and Lord (should it not be Bishop?) Burnet.”

From the Manchester Courier Tuesday 10th July 1894 – “The Handforth Golf Club are to hold a meeting tomorrow afternoon, in the Grand Hotel, to consider the advisability of winding up the club. We regret this unfortunate state of matters, as the questions in dispute seem to be of a personal character, and in the interests of golf ought to be settled amicably. The present course would have been very good in time.”      

By August 1894 the pavilion was advertised for sale. “The committee of the Handforth Golf Club have a splendid wood pavilion, with corrugated Iron roof to dispose of; could be used as a billiard room; size 30 feet by 16 feet – Apply by letter John Walsh, Wilmslow.”

It was reported in October 1894 that Manchester Golf Club at Manley Park had acquired a new clubhouse formerly belonging to the defunct Handforth Golf Club.


Handforth Golf Club, Cheshire. Handforth on the 1899 O.S map.

Handforth on the 1899 O.S map, the golf course had long gone. © Crown Copyright {1899}


The exact location of the course is, as yet, unknown. If anyone can help with the history of the club, or the location of the course please “contact us” through the website homepage.