Buttermere (Victoria Proprietary Golf Club), Cumbria. (1930s - WW2)

First appeared in the Golfer's Handbook in the mid 1930s; Secretary was John Nicholas Size, Victoria Hotel, Buttermere; green-keeper S Pattison; 9-hole course; Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day and Sunday play was allowed with caddies. The nearest railway station was at Cockermouth 10 miles away. Local hotel was the Victoria.

In 1940 and 1947 secretary still N Size the professional was now E Harrison and the greenkeeper J Houghton. 9-holes, with a SSS and Par of 33. Visitors’ fees now 2/- a day and 10/- a week.

John Nicholas Size was a novelist and writer who originally worked in railway administration; he always had a desire to move to his beloved Lake District. In 1920, he reopened the derelict Bridge Hotel which he renamed The Victoria Hotel. In the 1930s he purchased a further piece of  land, a relatively flat area leading down to Crummock, where he developed a nine-hole golf course which was free to hotel guests. The hotel then became known as the ‘Victoria Golf Hotel’.

Buttermere (Victoria Proprietary Golf Club) had disappeared by 1951.