Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Enfield Golf Club, Hard Cottage, Altham, Accrington, Lancs. (1914 - 1960)

In 1914 the address was given as Hard Farm, Accrington. The secretary (un-named) was available at the clubhouse.

An advert for a groundsman for the Enfield Golf Club, Altham, Accrington, appeared in the Lancashire Post in April 1918. Applications to the secretary, 11 Owen Street, Accrington.

In April 1919 the club mad a donation of £10/10s to the Altham war memorial fund.  

In 1924 the secretary was R Lancaster, “Oakdene” Blackburn Road, Accrington and the greenkeeper E Livesey.Enfield was a 9 hole course, with a membership of 130 gents and 40 ladies. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day, 2/- at weekend and Bank Holiday. Sunday play allowed. The station at Accrington was about 2 miles away.

 

Enfield Golf Club, Altham, Accrington. Club button.

Enfield Golf Club button. Image courtesy Dixon Pickup.

 

The button above features the full club title and the Arms of 'Clayton of Newcastle' Family. The choice of the title 'Enfield' possibly alludes to the Middlesex Claytons who purchased the 'Old Enfield Park' estate in 1735. Button marked SILVER and made by the Bendall Brothers, Spencer Street. Birmingham. In business 1925 to c1963. (Dixon Pickup.)

During the 1930s the secretary was H T Harwood, 3 Moss Lane, Accrington (S J Hairsnape in 1935) and the greenkeeper W Muckle.

The following members represented Enfield in the East Lancashire Golf Association Scratch Shield competition in June 1930; J Rothwell, 79; W Jones, 92; T Campy, 86; J Drake, 85. 

In the East Lancashire scratch competition played at Pleasington on Saturday 20th June 1931 the following players represented Enfield; J Rothwell, 80; M Whittaker, 97; C Dobson, 93; J Drake jnr, 85.

In 1940 and 1947 the secretary was C M Wood, “Tramore”, Sime Street, Accrington. The greenkeeper was still W Muckle. Still having 9 holes, the course had a SSS and Par of 70.

In 1951 and 1955 the secretary was J Foster, 75 Whalley Road, Clayton-le-Moors. Visitors’ fees 2/6 a day.

Enfield Golf Club, Accrington. The golf course early 1930s

Course location, Enfield Golf Club had disappeared by 1960.

Grid reference SD76335,30895, co-ordinates 376335,430895.