Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Lancaster Golf Club. (1889 - 1932)

Founded in  1889.

The first course was at Cockerham; it then moved to Scale Hill and in 1905 to Dolphin Lee.

Sand Villa at Cockerham was the first home of Lancaster Golf Club (1889-1901). The first tee was through a gate on the opposite side of the road, which was still there recently. The course was designed by Scotsman George Lowe who would go on to organize the layout of the 18 hole courses at Scale Hall and Dolphin Lee.

In December 1890 the silver quaich, presented by the club for monthly competition, was played for on the Cockerham course under difficult frosty conditions which made putting, in particular difficult. The winner was Mr A B Schofield with a net score of 93, Dr Forbes Dick was second with net 96, and Mr W Stewart third with net 108.

At a meeting on the 23rd May 1901 at the Grand Hotel, Morecambe it was decided to form the Morecambe and Lancaster Golf Club at Scale Hall. Lord Ashton was appointed president of the new club; Mr C J Clark, captain; Mr S Palmer, secretary; Mr R G W Howson, treasurer. The committee comprised of Dr Clegg, Rev C V Gorton, Mr F Bannister,  Mr Charnley, Morecambe, Rev W L Appleford, Mr R Preson (Mayor of Lancaster) messrs Duncan and Malcom, Lancaster. The question of the number of holes the course should have was discussed, and it was suggested that a nine hole course might suffice for the present, but it was eventually decided to seek the advice of George Lowe, the St Anne’s professional, and then act on his advice. It was intimated that a fine old farmhouse containing plenty of rooms would be available, at a moderate rent, for a clubhouse.

Caton Road, Dolphin Lee (1905-1932) was originally 9-holes but was quickly extended to 18-holes in 1908. The course was delightfully situated on the banks of the Lune. There was excellent accommodation available at the clubhouse. (nowadays the  site is occupied by Lansil golf course founded 1947)

The clubs first secretary was W G Stewart who was also a fine golfer and course record holder at Cockerham.

Originally Scale Hall was a 9-hole course with separate tees for ladies. Course records were: amateur R J H Preston with a score of 79,  professional C Brooks 76. Visitors' fees were 2/- a day, 5/- a week and 15/- a month. The LNWR station at Lancaster was 1 ½ miles away. The Scale Hall club was plagued with problems and in 1905 it was decided to leave and set up home at Dolphin Lee.

The secretary at Dolphin Lee in 1906 was Fred Huntington who was still there in 1914 when his address was given as Thetis House, Lancaster. Club membership at this time was 265. The entry fee was £2/2/0 and the subs £3/3/0 for full members, £2/2/0 for district members and £1/11/6 country members. Visitors' fees were 2/6 a day, 10/- a week and 20/- a month. Ladies were not allowed to play on Saturdays or on Medal days, unless they were in a mixed foursome. Sunday play was allowed without caddies.

On Thursday 2nd July 1908 a professional golf tournament was held to mark the opening of the extended course, the 18-holes measured 5,595 yards. The total prize money was £60 with £20 going to the winner. Lord Ashton, president of the club, who had contributed to the prize fund, was present. Taylor, partnered by Ray, played perfect golf in the evening and set a new course record of 69. Scores; First Round – Duncan, 76 and Vardon, 81; Ray, 77 and Cuthbert, 82; Taylor, 77 and Toogood, 83; Second Round - Vardon, 79 and Cuthbert, 79; Taylor, 69 and Ray, 73; Duncan, 76 and Toogood, 81;Total Scores – Taylor, 146; Ray, 150; Duncan, 152; Vardon, 160; Cutbert, 161; Toogood, 164.

 

Lancaster Golf Club. The Clubhouse pre-WW1.

The Lancaster Golf Club clubhouse c1911. 

 

The annual meeting was held at the County Hotel on Thursday 25th January 1912, W M Duncan presided. Lord Aston was re-elected president and J W Paton was appointed captain. N W Helme MP, R Preston, J H Dalton, W M Duncan and the Vicar of Lancaster were re-appointed as vice-presidents. The secretary was F Huntington and the green-keeper was Samuel Arthur. In the spring it was hoped to open a new short hole to follow the hogback, additional hazards were also to be added. The question was also raised regarding the appointment of a professional.

Result of the December 1912 medal; First Division - D Schofield, 90-2-88; W French, 98-10-88; J W Whittaker, 100-12-88; T Jackson, 92 scratch; Division Two - D Wright, 103-14-89; D S Cross, 104-15-89; C F Gardner, 105-16-89; S Lowndes, 115-24-91.

Below is the result of a match played at the Ingleton & Bentham Golf Club (now defunct) on Saturday 25th April 1914. 

Ingleton & Bentham Golf Club   Lancaster Golf Club  
T Thompson 0 J L Whalley (2&1) 1
J Turner (6&4) 1 E C Palmer 0
J Bibby (6&5) 1 F R C Storey 0
T Wells (3&2) 1 W Birchall 0
G Walling (half) 0 D Wright (half) 0
Rev R H Craze 0 J W Whittaker (2&1) 1
Rev P Coates (1up) 1 W H Cook 0
J Brown (3&2) 1 C F Gardner 0
  5   2

In 1923 the secretary was S W Clarke ASAA., 31 Castle Hill, Lancaster Telephone 687. The professional was W H Ball and the greenkeeper Sam Arthur. Visitors' fees 3/6 a day, 10/6 a week and 21/- a month. Sunday play was allowed with caddies.

In 1930 the secretary, professional and greenkeeper were as 1923. The professional course record was held by W H Ball (68), and membership was 325. Visitors' fees were October to April 2/6 a day, May to September 3/6 a day, Bank Holidays 5/- a day, 10/- a week and 21/- a month. Sunday play allowed with caddies. Local hotels were the King's Arms, County and Alexandra.

The secretary at  Morecambe and Lancaster was J H Abbott, Scale Hall, the professional at Scale Hall was Charles Brookes and the president Lord Ashton, who went on to be a prominent figure at the club.

Lancaster Golf Club. Location of the Sand Villa course.

Note the location of Sand Villa, the original clubhouse.

Grid reference SD43590,50680, co-ordinates 343590,450680.

 

 

Location of the Morecambe & Lancaster Golf Club course at Scale Hill.

The short lived (1901-1905) 18-hole course at Scale Hall was known as Morecambe and Lancaster Golf Club.

Grid reference SD46370,62600, co-ordinates 346370,462600.

 

 

The Lancaster Golf Club moved to its present site at Ashton Hall (Founded in 1932).