Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Pendle Forest Golf Club,  Nr Burnley. (1913 - 1950s)

First appeared in 1913.

From the Burnley Express June 1913. "The Pendle Forest Golf Club whose links are situated at the top of Noggarth, is now established and a pavilion is being erected. The membership of the club is now very large and from all appearances the club the club has entered upon a successful existence."

The annual meeting held in January 1919.

 

Pendle Forest Golf Club, Lancashire. The annual meeting in January 1919.

Burnley Express Saturday 1st February 1919. Image © Johnston Press plc. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

In September 1919 Ernest Smith and R Greenwood played in the final of the captain's prize. They finished all square after 18-holes, a further 18-holes were played with Ernest Smith eventually winning. The final for the mixed foursomes was also played; Mrs Morgan and H Sunderland beat Miss E Parker and E Wilkinson on the last green.

The annual meeting was held in January 1920. The following officers were elected; President, A Bell; vice-president's - W H Hartley, D Tattersall, J.P., D Jopson, H Bolton; captain, H Walton; secretary, T T Parker; treasurer, D L Tattersall.

In August 1920 J S Steer, the Pendle Forest professional, moved to take up a new appointment at Glen View Golf Club.

The following were elected at the annual meeting in January 1921; President - W P Hartley, Carr Hall; captain, E Smith; secretary, T T Parker; treasurer, D L Tattersall.

In April 1921 Leslie Ward of Blackpool was appointed professional. 

In 1923 the secretary was T Parker, Ashfield Fence near Burnley and the green-keeper T Pickles. A 9-hole course situated just off the B6247 Wheatley Lane and Borrowford Road. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day. The station at Nelson was 1 ¼ miles away.

The club captain in 1930 was A Swindells, a well-known Nelson businessman.

The following members represented Pendle Forest in the East Lancashire Golf Association Scratch Shield competition in June 1930; R Crawford, 86; F Preston, 90; J Riley, 80; G C Williams, 89. 

In the East Lancashire scratch competition played at Pleasington on Saturday 20th June 1931 the following players represented Pendle Forest; A H Swindells, 93; R Crawford, 85; E C Williams, 87; J Riley, 83.

In 1940 the address was Pendle Forest Golf Club, Sandy Hall Lane, telephone Nelson 238. The secretary was W Whitehead, “Sunnyfield” Park Avenue, Nelson and the professional R C Evans. The 9-hole course had a SSS and Par of 70 and a membership of 80. Course records were, amateur J Riley with a score of 72 and professional R E Evans 68. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day, 2/6 Saturdays and 2/- Sundays.

The club appeared in the Golfer's Handbook  from 1947 into the 1950s. The secretary was J Ratcliffe, 93 Scotland Road, Nelson. The membership was about 60. Visitors fees had increased to 3/- a day, 5/- on Saturday and 3/- on Sunday. Local hotels were the Station and the Lord Nelson.  All other information as 1940.

Announcement that the club to be disbanded in February 1949.

 

Pendle Forest Golf Club, Lancashire. Announcement that the golf club to be disbanded in February 1949.

Burnley Express Saturday 5th February 1949. Image © Johnston Press plc. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Location of the Pendle Forest course.

 

Pendle Forest Golf Club, Lancashire. The golf course on the 1932 Ordnance Survey Map.

Ordnance Survey Map © Crown Copyright {1932}