Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Rossendale Golf Club, Lancashire. (1894 - 1903)

The original Rossendale Golf Club was founded in 1894.

The following report is from The Burnley Gazette Saturday 16th June 1894:-

 “NEW GOLF CLUB – On Tuesday afternoon the ceremony of declaring the links at Seat Naze, Newchurch, for the Rossendale Golf Club, open for play was performed by the president, Mr E Ashworth, J.P., of Staghills. The links extend from Seat Naze, an eminence near the ancient village of Newchurch, for about a mile and a half towards Rawtenstall. There was a good attendance at the inaugural ceremony, when a beautiful driver was presented to Mr Ashworth by Captain G Law-Schofield. Mr Ashworth then made a few suitable remarks wishing the club every success, and a trial match was then played.”

In another report it was stated that “the course was situated on the hills above Waterfoot. The main hazards on this course are many stone walls which had to be carefully negotiated, stiles were erected to make life easier for the lady members.”

The competition for the cup presented by the captain and Mr G W Law Schofield, of  New Hall, Hey, Rawtenstall, was completed on Saturday 31st October 1896, and was won by Walter Edmonson. The competition consisted of three matches of 18-holes each, against “Colonel Bogey,” whose score had been fixed at 94. There were twelve competitors who were permitted to play off their matches on any three Saturdays in October. The following are the three best results; W Edmonson, 3down, 5down, 5down; L Duncan, 8down, 9down, 2down; H Kenyon, 11down, 2down, 7down.

The current club was founded in 1903.

The Google Map below shows the area around Seat Naze, location of the former course.