West Lancashire Golf Club. (1873 - WW2)

The club was founded in 1873.

The following is an extract from a report that appeared in the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News on Saturday 13th May 1893 and provides information on the early history of the club.

“This club was formed in June, 1873, by seven enthusiastic members who played on links at Seaforth, near Liverpool. The ground was then found to be unsuitable, so a move was made to Blundellsands, where, by the kindness of Colonel Blundell, a nine-hole course was granted rent free. For three years the Blundellsands Hotel was the headquarters of the club, the members having a room, but as the game increased in popularity the growth of interest allowed an expenditure of £360 on the building of a clubhouse. The course was extended in 1882. The first captain was the late Mr. Alexander Whytt, and amongst the early members of the club who have stuck to it through thick and thin are; Staveley Taylor, W Roughton, R D Welch, A Stoddart, T A Kirkwood, Finlay Miln, John Dun and Helenus R Robertson. Of these; Staveley Taylor, R D Welch, A Stoddart and John Dun, have been captains; Finlay Miln and Walter Roughton have held the positions of honorary secretary and treasurer.”

The above report, with pictures, continues lower down the page.

 

West Lancashire Golf Club. Extract from The Golfing Annual 1888/89.

Extract from The Golfing Annual 1888/89.

 

The report from the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News in May 1893 continues as follows.

“There are now nearly 400 members, and to provide accommodation a new clubhouse has just been erected at a cost of about £4,000. The club room with its fine oak mantelpieces, handsome furniture, and fine proportions all through, looks very well. The dining and committee rooms are on the first floor, from which good views of the links are obtained. The lavatory accommodation is unique, every requisite, down to needle baths, being provided for the golfer. Across a small yard is to be found David Lowe, the professional for the last fourteen years, hard at work making clubs, for which he is renowned; adjoining his workshops are the green-keeper’s office and caddie shelter. The architect was T Mellard Reade, of Liverpool, one of the oldest members of the club, whose red coat, almost white with exposure to the sun and rain, shows that he did not take up the game yesterday. The formal opening of the clubhouse took place on the 29th April, the ceremony being performed by the Mayor of Liverpool, R D Holt, Esq. To further celebrate the occasion an open amateur competition with a handicap limited to five strokes, was held on the previous Thursday. In addition to which a foursome between Messrs. J Ball jun., H H Hilton, the amateur open champions, and Rolland and Herd of Limpsfield and Huddersfield was played on the same afternoon.”

 

West Lancashire Golf Club. Report and pictures on the history of the golf club.

 

West Lancashire Golf Club. Report and pictures on the history of the golf club.

 

West Lancashire Golf Club. Report and pictures on the history of the golf club.

 

Below is a report and pictures of the matches.

 

West Lancashire Golf Club. Report and pictures on the history of the golf club.

 

West Lancashire Golf Club. Report and pictures on the history of the golf club.

 

West Lancashire Golf Club. Report and pictures on the history of the golf club.

 

West Lancashire Golf Club. Report and pictures on the history of the golf club.

 

West Lancashire Golf Club. Report and pictures on the history of the golf club.

From the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News Saturday 13th May 1893. Above Images © Illustrated London News Group.

 

The sketch a above shows, from top left to right; Rolland driving; the crowd round the green; G F Smith; giving the line to the twelfth green; Johnny Ball on the green. 

In the mid 1890s part of the land was required for housing, fortunately a portion of land was acquired on the west side of the railway and six holes were laid out there. The club continued to play on land on either side of the railway until WW2.

Following the war a new 18-hole links course was constructed to the west of the railway which combined land from the old course and the former ladies course.

 

West Lancashire golf course map

Location of the first West Lancashire course.

 

O.S map 1908.

Reproduced from the {1908} Ordnance Survey map. With the “new” holes on the sea side, the pavilion is marked on the bottom of the map.

 

1937 O.S map.

Reproduced from the {1937} Ordnance Survey map. It clearly shows the course still occupying land on both sides of the railway.