Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


West Lancashire Ladies' Golf Club. (1891 - WW2)

There is evidence that the ladies were playing golf at Blundellsands in the early 1890s. 

The Ladies’ club was actually founded in 1891.

The original 9-hole seaside course was situated on the “Rabbit Warren” on Hall Road West, a short walk from Hall Road Station. Additional land was leased and the course was extended to 18-holes in the mid 1890s, and a larger clubhouse was acquired in 1895, by 1912 it had been further modified to include “a commodious suite of rooms with a verandah overlooking the course” The course had also undergone further changes due to housing development on part of the course, the ladies themselves working on the construction of the layout.

On the Ladies' course in October 1902.

 

West Lancashire Ladies' Golf Club. On the Ladies' golf course in October 1902.

 

West Lancashire Ladies' Golf Club. On the Ladies' golf course in October 1902.

 

West Lancashire Ladies' Golf Club. On the Ladies' golf course in October 1902.

 

West Lancashire Ladies' Golf Club. Ladies on the nine-hole putting green.

 

West Lancashire Ladies' Golf Club. The Ladies' captain on the twelfth tee.

Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News Saturday 11 October 1902. Image © Illustrated London News Group.

 

Result of a match, singles and foursomes, played at Blundellsands against Hoylake Ladies' Golf Club in September 1906.

West Lancs Ladies' Golf Club s f Hoylake Ladies' Golf Club s f
Miss Rerser 1   Miss Crowther  0  
Mrs E Gardner 1 0 Miss M A Graham 0 1
Miss Kidman 1   Miss Wall 0  
Mrs J S Halsall 1 1 Miss Stott 0 0
Miss E G Hagger 1   Miss Hudson 0  
Mrs Nicholl 0 0 Mrs Leader 1 1
Miss M Darbyshire 0   Miss N Graham 1  
Miss N Anderson 1 0 Miss G Wilson 0 0
  6 1   2 2

The clubhouse and course were requisitioned during WW2 and suffered considerable and irreparable damage.