Langford Heathfield Golf Club, Wellington, Somerset. (1909 - 1926)

The course was officially opened by Colonel E C A Sanford, CMG of Chipley Park, President of the club, in July 1909.

Result of the monthly bogey competition played on Saturday 16th November 1912; C A Cooke (handicap 16) 2down; C H Luxon (12) 4 down; V Price (7) 6down; H S Boothroyd, (18) 7down; P J Abdon, (18) 7down; H C Launder (13) 8down; F J Boucher (18) 9down. This must have been a mixed competition, amongst the no returns two ladies, as follows; Miss G Sully; Miss E M Burnett; R R Luxton; E Farrant; J G Bain; J W Bell; T Boucher; E F G Price; R W H Meredith; S Rolfe.

In 1914 the secretary was J G Bain. A 9-hole course situated between Hales and Bishops Langford in the Vale of Taunton. Club membership of 105. The entry fee was £1/1/0 and the subs £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 5/- a week and 15/- a month. Sunday play was not allowed. Railway stations at Wellington, Wiveliscombe and Milverton were all 3 miles away.

From 1923 to the clubs final year in 1926. The secretary was J V G Price. Membership numbers had reduced to 50. Visitors’ fees 2/- a day.

Langford Heathfield Golf Club, Wellington, Somerset. Location of the former golf course.

The site of the former course now belongs to the Somerset Wildlife Trust. The approximate location of the course is marked.

Grid reference ST10135,23360, co-ordinates 310135,123360.