Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Mid Somerset Golf Club, Langport.

The club was founded in 1904.

The following is an extract from a report that appeared in the Taunton Courier & Western Advertiser on Wednesday 5th April 1905:-

The first annual general meeting of members was recently held at the Town Hall, Langport. The Right Hon. Sir Spencer Ponsonby-Fane , G.C.B., president, was in the chair, and the following committee members were present; C B Cely Trevilian (vice president), P F C Elwes, Dr J P Johnstone, E Q Louch, Major A A Wilkie and James Kelway (hon. secretary and treasurer).

The meeting confirmed the acceptance the lease of Sheep Sleight to the club. The officers of the club and committee were re-elected. R W Phelips was added as vice president in the place of H Hobhouse M.P. who had resigned. The Rev A P Wickham and Lionel Whitby were elected to the committee. The annual subs were increased to one guinea. Membership at the club was 106, the course was in fine condition after twelve months work on it, and a pavilion had been erected.

At a later meeting in April 1905 it was resolved “for the convenience of those driving to the links, to erect forthwith, a shelter for horses and a shed for the use of the groundsman”      

Result of the monthly medal for August 1906; P F C Elwes, 76 scratch; E Q Louch, 96-15-81; E B Bradford, 98-17-81; L B Whiby, 99-15-84. Mr Elwes’s score of 76, which was also the Bogey score, was the best that had been achieved in any competition so far.

The annual meeting was held at the clubhouse in April 1910, Sir Ponsonby Fane, president, in the chair. Dr Lodwidge, secretary, reported that there was a deficit of under £5, after all bills had been paid. The president was re-elected with R T Combe and K B Cely Trevilian vice presidents. Mr Appleby and J Kelway were appointed to the committee in place of Dr Ingle and E Q Louch who retired in rotation. During the day the spring meeting was played. The competition for the President’s trophy was won by the Rev G Swift with a net score of 77; P F C Elwes was second, 79. In the afternoon the competition for the Kelway Bowl was played and resulted in a win for Kenneth Kelway with a score of 73. The course was in splendid condition and a lot of credit for this was passed on to S Thompson, the professional.  

In 1913/4 the secretary was Captain P Hornby and the professionals S Thompson (1907 -1914) G Thomson (1914 - 1917). A 9-hole natural and dry course with good greens situated at Low Ham to the east of Low Ham church. The entry fee was £1/1/0 and subs £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were; 1/6 a day, 5/- a week and 10/- a month. Sunday play was not allowed. Station at Langport East  & West. 

In 1914 the secretary was Captain P Hornby and the professionals S Thompson (1907 -1914) G Thomson (1914 - 1917). A 9 hole natural and dry course with good greens situated at Low Ham to the east of Low Ham church. The entry fee was £1/1/0 and subs £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees 1/6 a day, 5/- a week and 10/- a month. Sunday play was not allowed. Station at Langport East  & West.

Below is the result of a club match played at Langport on Wednesday 26th June 1912. The home side also won the foursomes.

Mid Somerset Golf Club   Burnham Golf Club  
P F C Elwes 0 Mr Oxley (1up) 1
E B Bradford 0 Mr Fellows (3&2) 1
Colonel C J Trask (1up) 1 Mr Somerville 0
C Paulet (5&3) 1 Captain Johnston 0
C Cunningham (4&3) 1 Mr Tucker 0
Capt Phipps-Hornby (6&5) 1 S Woods 0
Rev G Swift 0 Mr Brook (1up) 1
E Q Louch (4&3) 1 Mr Smith-Spark 0
J Kelway (2&1) 1 H Carver 0
J Louch 0 Dr Coates (7&5) 1
  6   4

Below is the result of a home club match played against the Yeovil and South Somerset Golf Club (also defunct) on Saturday 8th June 1912.

Mid Somerset Golf Club   Yeovil & South Somerset Golf Club  
C C Cunningham 0 R J Luffman (4&3) 1
Colonel C J Trusk (half) 0 H Fearnley-Smith (half) 0
Rev G Swift (3&1) 1 T Moore jnr 0
Dr Lodwidge 0 D Marsh (6&4) 1
Dr Ingle 0 J Balmer (4&3) 1
Captain Phipps-Hornby(8&7) 1 F W Mayo 0
T Kelway 0 E B Chaffey (1up) 1
H T Brown 0 J H Worner (3&1) 1
  2   5

The professional in 1921 was C Pendle.

There’s a long gap before I could find any further evidence of the club. It reappeared in the late 1930s.

Result of the ladies’ monthly medal competition played on Thursday 4th November 1937; Mrs Hebditch, 69net; Mrs H Lang, 73net; Miss S McEvoy, 89net

In 1940 and 1947 the secretary was R J McEvoy, Newtown House, Langport, telephone 79. The professional and green-keeper was J Luscombe. The 9-hole course had a SSS of 70 and a Par of 72 with a club membership of 100. Visitors’ fees 2/6 a day. Sunday play was allowed after 1pm. The station at Langport was 2 miles away. Local hotel was the Langport Arms.

Mid Somerset Golf Club, Langport, Somerset. Pitney from the golf course.

The above postcard shows Pitney from the golf links, this must refer to the Mid Somerset course. Postcard by Williams, Somerton.

 

Mid Somerset Golf Club, Langport, Somerset. Location of the golf course.

The above map from the 1930s shows the probable location of the course. There’s a Pavilion marked, but no course.

Grid reference ST43505,28330, co-ordinates 343505,128330.

 

Mid Somerset Golf Club had disappeared by 1951.

There was another Mid Somerset Golf Club appearing in the 1890s. See Burnham Mid Somerset entry.