Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Kilcroney Golf and Country Sports Club, County Wicklow. (1930s - 1960)

First appeared in the mid 1930s.

 

Kilcroney Golf Club, County Wicklow. Illustrated Sporting & Dramatic News July 1935.

 

Kilcroney Golf Club, County Wicklow. Illustrated Sporting & Dramatic News July 1935.

From The Illustrated Sporting & Dramatic News July 19th 1935. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

In 1940 it was listed as the Kilcroney Country Sport Club, telephone Bray 277. Secretary Major J D Butler professional J J McKenna and green-keeper J Dougan. 18-hole course with a SSS of 73.

In 1947 the secretary was Major R G Sloan the professional H Bradshaw the greenkeeper was still J Dougan.  There was now a revised SSS of 71 and a Par of 73. Course records, amateur C Cruise-Callaghan 69 and professional H Bradshaw 67. Visitors’ fees were 5/- a day, 10/- at weekend.

Following WW2 it was purchased by Sir Basil Goulding and was renamed Kilcroney Golf and Country Sports Club, one of the earliest Country Clubs in Ireland. It included a swimming pool, tennis courts, ballroom and fishing on the River Dargle. Harry Bradshaw who was born in Delgany, Wicklow, was the professional at Kilcroney. Bradshaw had a fine CV; Irish PGA Champion 10 times, Irish Open twice, British Masters twice, he also played in the Ryder Cup and Canada Cup matches.

Harry Bradshaw will always be remembered for the broken beer bottle incident in the 1949 Open Championship at Royal St George’s. In the second round his drive at the fifth hole came to rest against a piece of glass from a broken beer bottle. He was probably entitled to a free drop but he decided to play the ball, hardly moving it, resulting in a dropped shot at the hole. He eventually tied the event with Bobby Locke with a score of 283, then a record score for the Open. Unfortunately Bradshaw lost the play-off against Locke.

In the 1950s the secretary was Colonel G W Ball, Glencoraiac, Bray the professional was C Greene and the green-keeper P Fox. The 18-holes now had a SSS and Par of 72. Amateur course record was now held by E F Betson 75. Visitors’ fees were 3/6 a day, 6/- at weekend. Local hotels were the Kilcroney and Royal Bray.

Kilcroney Golf Club had disappeared by 1960.

The Google Map below shows the location of the former course.