Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Cathcart Castle Golf Club, Glasgow. (1893 - 1910)

Founded in 1893.

It was officially opened on the 4th May 1895. Originally known as Merrylea GC, the first course is believed to have been at Merrylee (note different spelling). A 9-hole course with 50 members. Subs were £1.1/- for gents and 10/6d for ladies. The club changed its name to Cathcart Castle when it moved to Linn Park, with the new 18-hole course laid out around the ruins of Cathcart Castle. Membership at that time was 185.

The land was subsequently acquired by Glasgow Corporation in 1919, and the club was obliged to move again, to its present location at Cleuch farm near Clarkston. New course officially opened 3 December 1925.

The fourth round of the competition for the Silver Challenge Cup presented by Mr Philip McSorley, and the accompanying gold medal, the gift of the club, was played in May 1900. Results; George B Key (10) beat James Grigor (3); J Glen Edgar (scratch) beat Andrew Baird (2); Archibald Hamiilton (3) beat John J Robertson (5); J McG Wright (7) beat James Moodie (12).

In August 1900 a Mr Shaw produced a new course record of 77, the previous record was 79. 

Result of the monthly medal played on Saturday 11th August 1900; class (div) 1 – J J Robertson, 97-12-85; R Tudhope, 100-15-85; R A Stewart, 92-6-86; J J Gow jnr, 88 scratch; J B Briggs, 102-12-90; class (div) 2 – D G Moodie, 102-20-82; S F Gaze, 106-23-83. 

From the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; CATHCARTS (sic) GOLF CLUB; instituted 1893; number of members; 400, 120 ladies and 30 boys; hon. secretary - C Vost, 108, Hope Street, Glasgow; captain, J R Crawford; entrance fee, £3/3s, ladies and boys, nil; subs; £1/1s, ladies and boys, 10s/6d; professional G Gordon; 18-holes; course records - professional; G Gordon, 67; amateur; D Wilson, 68. The course is beautifully situated on the outskirts of Glasgow. The hazards are trees and hedges with artificial sand bunkers at most of the holes. 

Result of a bogey competition played in May 1910; first class - R Hamilton (5), 2down; Andrew Lak(n)e jnr (6), 3down; Thomas Neil (4), 4down; second class – Neil S Snodgrass (12) all square; James Clarkson (10), 2down; H Barton (11), 3down; third class – Alexander MacDonald (15) all square; James Campbell (14), 3down; J M McQueen (15), 3down.   

Despite the club’s move from Cathcart Castle and the subsequent demolition of the building, the club has maintained its links, having constructed a cairn in front of the present clubhouse using stones from the Castle.


Cathcart Castle Golf Club. Course location 1898-1920.

Course location in the early 1900s. Grid Reference NS58865,59250, co-ordinates 258865,659250.