Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Newburgh Golf Club, Fife. (1905 - 1950s)

The club was founded in 1905.

A 9-hole sporting course with natural hazards on undulating land with sand and clay soil. Newburgh railway station adjoined the course. Local hotels were the George, Tay Bridge, North British and the Temperance. Sunday play was not allowed.

The following is an extract from a report from the Dundee Courier dated October 28th 1905.

 “Below is a sketch of the new golf course for Newburgh. The work of making putting greens and tees has already commenced. The site has been pronounced by experts to be most suitable for the game, being sheltered to the east and south by a plantation, while its contour with undulating valleys lend itself to the acquisition of a sporting course. At present no bunkers are suggested, but several hazards, such as three trees in the centre, the burn and the dyke are encountered on the round. The turf has all the advantages of fine old pasture, and being situated on a prominence commanding a superb view of the Straths of Tay and Earn, it is dry and well drained.

The arrangement of putting greens and tees grounds is open to variation, being made up of two and three shot holes while the second and second last can be accomplished with the cleek.

About £25 has been subscribed for the initial outlays, but this sum is barely adequate to do justice to what undoubtedly will be a great acquisition to the town”  


Newburgh Golf Club, Fife. Course layout.

Layout of the Newburgh course.


The following is a report from the Dundee Courier on the opening of the Newburgh course on Saturday 24th March 1906. The new course was formally opened with a friendly competition, there was a large turnout of members and others to witness the opening ceremony, including; Major and Mrs Williamson and Miss Cook, Clunie; Mr and Mrs Glover; Mr and Mrs Neil, Manchester; Mr and Mrs Wishart, Ingleneuk, Abernethy; Mr and Mrs Arnott, The Manse; Mr and Mrs Davidson, U.F Manse; Rev J R Ramsay; Mr W A and Miss Morison, Commercial Bank; Mr and Mrs Grieg, Tayview; Lieut and Miss Hendry, Cluniefield; Mr and Mrs Anderson, Guthrie Lodge; Mr and Mrs Anderson, High Street; Misses Nisbet, Buist, Nairn, Cameron, Butters, Speirs, Syme; Dr Macmillan; Messrs, G L Anderson, solicitor, W Logan, A Buchan, Jas Wemyss, F Ross, T K Goodwillie and others.

Ex Provost Anderson, captain of the club, who played in the first game on the new course with Mr Wishart, the vice-captain, said that much of the credit should go to the committee who had worked so hard to achieve the successful outcome of the club. He went on to say that there were already about 80 members, most of whom were enthusiastic players. The course, considering the short time it had been laid out, would afford an excellent game, and was capable, like the players, of further improvement. Play then commenced, when ten couples took part in a stroke competition, resulting in a win for the vice-captain. The following are some of the best scores; D Wishart, 102; W Logan, 103; Lieut Hendry, 110; H Annan, 114; G Anderson 116. Following the golf Mrs Anderson, Guthrie Lodge, provided tea, which was served in a marquee at the entrance to the course.

The annual meeting was held in October 1912, A Thomson presided. The financial statement showed that the credit had been reduced by £27 in the year, £20 of which was incurred on erecting a clubhouse and making other improvements. The following officers were elected; Captain, George Fairburn; vice-captains, D McMillan and Hector Hendry; secretaray Jas Henderson; treasurer, G L Anderson.      

In 1913/4 the secretary was J Henderson. The club had a membership of 65. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were 10/- and ladies 5/-. Visitors’ fees were 6d a day, 1/6d a week and 3/6d a month.

Throughout the1920s to the mid 1930s the secretary was H Ross Annan, High Street, Newburgh. Club membership was 120 in the early 1920s, reducing to 80 by the mid 1930s. The amateur course record was 73. Visitors’ fees were now 1/- a day, 4/- a week, 7/- a fortnight and 10/- a month.

The golf club prize presentation together with a whist drive and dance was held in the Public Hall on Friday November 13th 1925. Captain R W Youngson, captain of the club, presided, and Mrs Youngson presented the prizes; Challenge Cup (Class A) winner – Mr Fiddes Rose; runner-up, Robert Taylor; semi-finalists, W Ritchie and W Youngson; Challenge Cup (Class B) winner – George Christie; runner-up, Peter Ingram; semi-finalists, Q Murray and G Duncan; Challenge Rose Bowl (Ladies) winner – Miss Jeanie Walker; runner-up, Miss Meg Ritchie; semi-finalists, Miss R Taylor and Miss M Walker; Clapperton Prize (Mixed Foursome) winners – Miss M Walker and E Beverly; runners-up, Miss Castel and S Anderson. The gents cup prizes were given by Mr Ritchie and Mr John Thomson-Allan of Ceylon. 

Below is the result of a Fife League match played against Markinch Golf Club (now defunct) in June 1926.

Match below played at Newburgh.

Markinch Golf Club   Newburgh Golf Club  
J G White (half) 0 William Byers (half) 0
R Wilkie 1 H R Annan 0
William Whyte 1 A Ross 0
J A Farmer 1 William Campbell 0

Match below played at Markinch.

Markinch Golf Club   Newburgh Golf Club  
J Reid 1 J M Wilson 0
J Hutchison 1 W Whyte 0
J Herd 1 J McPherson 0
J Short 1 J Pitkethly 0
  7   0

Below is the result of a Central Fife League match played at Newburgh against Milnathort in July 1929. 

Newburgh Golf Club   Milnathort Golf Club  
W Whyte & W Byars 1 R E Bett & W M Hosie 0
A Goodall & A Mitchell 1 W Keir & D M Morrison 0
H Ross & H R Annan 1 F S Adamson & T L Melville 0
R Wilson & W McGlashan 0 W S Lees & D L Morrison 1
G Lamond & A Haggart 0 R L Braid & R B Carnegie 0
D Edmonston & J Batchelor 1 C Howieson & G M Lumsden 0
D McNeill & C Brough 0 A Findlay & W S Lumsden 1
  4   2

Below is the result of a Central Fife League match played at Newburgh against St Michael’s Golf Club in April 1939. 

Newburgh Golf Club   St Michael's Golf Club  
A Ross 0 J M Lowe 1
P Mathew 0 D B Calder 0
G S Wilson 1 G P Adam 0
J A White 1 J Forsyth 0
H M Annan 0 W Forsyth 1
G Lamond 1 T Brodie 0
J Lauder 1 T Muir 0
W Watson 0 A Armit 0
G Pearson 0 W Hay 1
J Rodger 0 D Wilton 1
C Ross 1 F Leighton 0
M Walker 0 D Meldrum 1
  5   5

From 1940 to the club’s disappearance in the mid 1950s, the secretary was A Ross, 196 High St, Newburgh.  The 9-hole course had a SSS of 66 and a membership of 70. Amateur course record holder was A Ross with a score of 65. Visitors’ fees had changed little since 1923.

Newburgh Golf Club, Fife. Location of the former golf course.

The Newburgh course adjoined the station.

Grid reference NO22560,17800, co-ordinates 322560,717800.