Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Crickhowell & Penmyarth Golf Club, Glanusk Park, Powys. (1897 - 1960s)

Founded in 1897.

The 9-hole course was situated in Lord Glanusk’s deer park on the banks of the River Usk. In the early years there was a railway station at Gilwern 6 miles away. Later on, the nearest station was at Abergavenny which was 8 miles away and thence by Great Western Railway motor bus to the course. Local hotels were the Bear and the Beaufort Arms. Sunday play was not allowed prior to WW1 but was permitted following the war.

In 1925 a new clubhouse was built on the left of the Crickhowell to Brecon road, about 200 - 300 yards from the Park Lodge.  However, the building was burnt to the ground in early June 1928. The alarm was raised by a passing motorist, and although the clubhouse itself was completely destroyed, practically the whole of the contents of the building were saved. Lord Glanusk was quickly at the scene and, aided by the police and a large number of Boy Scouts who were camping in the park, managed to rescue all the golf club’s belongings. Damage was estimated at between £200 and £300 (equivalent to between £8,000 and £12,000 nowadays). Undeterred, the club continued with a full programme of matches. By 1928 the club was listed as Penmyarth Golf Club, Glanusk Park.

 

Secretary

Membership

1906

J Vaughan Richards, Estate Office, Glanonney, Crickhowell.

 

1914

W L Michael, Llangattock, Crickhowell.

37

1923

Thomas Watkins, Great Oak, Crickhowell.

 

1928

 

85

1940

R Evans, Cwmdu, Crickhowell.

170

1947

R Evans, The Firs, Tretower, Crickhowell.

 

 

 

Course records  a=amateur p=professional

Professional/Greenkeeper

1906

B Watkins 76 (a)

 

1923

 

S Milett (g)

1928

 

H Parsons (g)

1940

J V Richards 68 (a)

D C Hill (p)

1947

 

G F Lister (p)

In 1906 visitors on introduction paid 1/- a day, 2/6d a week, 7/6d a month.

In 1914 there was no entry fee and subs were £1/1/0.

In 1923 visitors’ fees were 2/6d a day, 7/6d  a week and 15/- a month.

Result of a club match played against Hay in March 1934.

Penmyarth Golf Club   Hay Golf Club  
L J Lindsay 0 T J Madigan 1
T T Roberts 1 W W Hughes 0
W V Jones 1 Lt Com R C Ryman 0
P Wilks 0 H R Grant 0
W J Thomas 1 T D Nutt 0
M Thomas 1 A E Bramley 0
B Evans 1 A C Grant 0
R Evans 1 H R Jones 0
G Shellard 1 H R Jones 0
  7   1

Below, result of a match played at Penmyarth on Saturday 11th April 1937 against Monmouth Golf Club. 

Penmyarth Golf Club   Monmouth Golf Club  
W Barlow Evans 1 D E Pope 0
Trevor T Roberts 1 H R Howell 0
W J Thomas (half) 0 Major Appleby (half) 0
C A Gwenlan 1 G H Coles 0
L W Thomas 1 E Jarvis 0
A Townsend 1 Col Dunlop Hill 0
R Evans 0 J G Meredith 1
Percy Wilks 1 J T Vizard o
J Vaughan Richards 1 F Tyler-Taylor 0
W E Morgan 1 H Matterface 0
W Rosser 0 H G Hodges 1
  8   2

In 1940 the 9 hole course had a SSS of 72. Visitors’ fees were gents 2/6d a day, ladies 2/-, 10/- a week, 15/- a fortnight and 20/- a month.

In 1947 the SSS had been revised to 70. Visitors’ fees were gents 3/6d a day, ladies 2/6d, 15/- a week, 25/- a fortnight and £2 a month.

The club finally disappeared in the late 1960s, when the secretary was Dr A P Brown, Glencree, Llangynidr.  The 9-hole course of 2,500yds had a SSS and Par of 68.Club membership was about 100. Course records were amateur J V Richards (68), professional G F Lister (68). Visitors’ fees were 5/- a day. Visitors were restricted at weekends. Local hotels were now the Bear and Gilffaes Country Club.

Crickhowell & Penmyarth Golf Club, Glanusk Park, Powys. Location of the golf course.

Location of the Crickhowell & Penmyarth Golf Club
Grid reference SO18920,20020, co-ordinates 318920,220020.