Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Fairbourne Golf Club, Gwynedd. (1890 - 1960s)

The club was founded 1890/2.

The forerunner at Fairbourne was known as the Merionethshire Golf Club which was listed as being just south of Barmouth, and was situated on the dunes around Fairbourne. A 9 hole course with lovely views of the Mawddach Estuary and Barmouth. In a course description from about 1910, the following information was given: “This sporting and interesting course of 9 holes is situated close to the shore and nowhere can the game be enjoyed in better or amidst more beautiful scenery. The new clubhouse has accommodation for Ladies as well as Gents. It is only 6 minutes walk from Fairbourne station. The links have been lengthened and the bunkers and the surface throughout carefully improved”.

Local hotels were the Orielton Hall Hotel, which was opposite Fairbourne golf links, and Ynys Faig Hall, the only other hotel near to the golf links. The station at Fairbourne was ½ mile away. Sunday play was not allowed until the mid 1920s.

In 1906 visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 5/- a week and 10/6d a month. 

There were numerous entries and keen competition at the August Tournament in 1910, result as follows; H W Hornby 79; Canon Lambert (of Hull) 81; D G Wake Williams (of Dolgellau) 82.

 

Secretary

Professional/greenkeeper

1906

C H  Cotsworth, 20 Beach Road, Fairbourne

F Hadwin (p)

1914

C.H Cotsworth, Estate Office, Fairbourne S.O.

J Dunlop (p)

1920s

 

George Davies (p) Walter Ellis (g)

1932

 

L J Sherwood (p)

1936/1937

F Wilkinson.

L Williams (p)

1938/1940

R S Vaughton, Woodside, Fairbourne.

L Williams (p)

 

In 1914 there was a membership of 60. Visitors’ fees were now 1/6d a day, 5/- a week, 10/6d  a month and £1/1/0 per annum. Tickets for play could be obtained at the Ynys Faig Hall Hotel, at the clubhouse, or from Mr Cotsworth at the Estate Office.

 

Fairbourne Golf Club, Gwynedd. The course and clubhouse.

This one for the win. Golfer on the early Fairbourne course.

 

Throughout the 1920s visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 7/6d a week and 17/6d a month. Membership at this time was about 50.

By the mid 1930s membership had reduced to 40 and visitors’ fees were 2/6d a day, 7/6d a week and 15/- a month.

In the late 1930s and early 1940s there was a membership of 65, the SSS was 72.

From 1947 to the club’s closure in the early 1960s, the secretary was Major Lloyd Williams, Cartrefle, Fairbourne. The professional and greenkeeper was L Williams. The SSS had been revised to 70. Membership throughout this period was about 75. Visitors’ fees were now 2/6d a round, 3/6d a day, 10/6d a week, 17/6d a fortnight.

 

Fairbourne Golf Club, Gwynedd. Early clubhouse and ninth green.

Fairbourne clubhouse and ninth green

 

Fairbourne Golf Club, Gwynedd. The third tee.

The third tee on the Fairbourne links

 

Fairbourne Golf Club, Gwynedd. The Mawddach Estuary from the course.

The Mawddach Estuary from the Golf Links, Fairbourne.

 

Fairbourne Golf Club, Gwynedd. The Golf Links on the 1938 O.S Map.

Map of Fairbourne Golf Links and Clubhouse. © Crown Copyright {1938}

 

 

There is currently a nine-hole pitch and put course at Fairbourne.