Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Garngoch Golf Club, Swansea. (1930 - WW2)

First appeared in about 1930 as Garngoch Golf Club, Gorseinon, Glamorgan. The secretary was C Davies, High Street, Gorseinon, and the green-keeper E Hawkins. A 9-hole course with a membership of 70. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day. Sunday play was not allowed. At this time the railway station was at Gowerton 1 ¾ miles away.

In 1935 the secretary was W B Thomas, “Myrtle House”, Hospital Road, Gorseinon, and the professional and greenkeeper was W H Hill. Course records  were: amateur C John (39); professional W G Smalldon (36).  Visitors’ fees were now 2/- a day and 5/- a week. The nearest railway station was now at Gorseinon about 1 mile away. Local hotel was the Mardy.

In 1940 and 1947 the address was now given as Fforestfach. The secretary was E Edwards, 2 Glasfryn Terrace, Fforestfach, Swansea and the professional and greenkeeper B D J Bidder. The SSS and Par was now 74.

 

Garngoch Golf Club, Swansea. Location of the former course.

Above is the location of the course in the 1930s. Grid reference SS60840,97630, co-ordinates, 260840,197630.

 

Garngoch Golf Club had disappeared by 1951.