Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Llanfairfechan Golf Club, Conwy. (1909 - 1950s)

Founded in 1909.

The course was formally opened on Tuesday 3rd August 1909. A 9-hole private course with wonderful views at Llys y Gwynt and Rhiwiau, belonging to Col Pratt CB. Local hotels were the Queens, Castle and the Llanfair Arms. Sunday play was never allowed. The railway station was a 30 minute walk from the course.

 

Secretaries

Professional/greenkeeper

1914

G H Burnley, Cefn-y-Coed, Llanfairfechan.

E Main (p) (1909 - 1915).

1920's

O B Ellis, Council Office, Llanfairfechan.

R Williams (g)

1931

B D Rees.

 

1932-1935

W E Roberts, Mount Garden, Llanfairfechan.

 

In 1914 there was a membership of 45. There was no entry fee. Subs were £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/6d a day, 5/- a week and 10/6 a month. Ladies 1/-, 4/-, 8/- respectively. Sunday play was not allowed.

In 1928 the amateur course record was held by ? Ellacot 35.Visitors fees were now gents 2/6d a day, 7/6d a week, 15/- a month. Ladies 2/6d, 6/-, 12/6 respectively.

 

Llanfairfechan Golf Club, Conwy. The course on a 1920s postcard.

Postcard showing the course, posted in 1918. Card by W E Owen, Caxton House. Authors Collection.

 

LLanfairfechan Golf Club, Conwy. The Clubhouse.

The Clubhouse.

 

Llanfairfechan Golf Club, Conwy. Course layout.

Course layout. Grid reference SH68050,73125, co-ordinates 268050,373125.

 

From 1935 to the club’s last year in 1953 the secretary was Tom Jones, Tyn Llwyn, Llanfairfechan. The greenkeeper was still R Williams. The membership was 70 in 1935, 40 in 1939/40 and 50 in 1953. The 9 hole course now had a SSS of 66 and a Par of 64. Visitors’ fees were Gents 2/6d a day (1/6d after 2 pm), 7/6d a week, 15/- a month. Ladies 2/6d, 6/-, 12/- respectively.

The current Club was founded in 1971.