Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Llanwrtyd Wells Club, Powys. (1900s - 1965)

Two Courses; an early one at Dolecoed Hotel Golf Links, and a later course at Abernant Lake and Hotel Golf Club.

Although the exact foundation of the club and course has still to be found we now have evidence of the club appearing in the early 1900s.

On the 1901 census James William Brown was living at Ffosyfegin Cottage, opposite the hotel, and it is believed that he worked as a green-keeper on the course. (Thanks to Linda Brown for this information.)

 

Llanwrtyd Wells Golf Club, Powys. View from the earlier Dolecoed golf course.

View from the Dolecoed golf course.

 

Llanwrtyd Wells Golf Club, Powys. Layout of the eighteen-hole course at Dolecoed.

Layout of the eighteen-hole golf course at Dolecoed.

 

In 1914 the secretary was A J P Thompson,  Dolecoed Hotel, Llanwrtyd. An 18-hole course, the professional was S Wingate. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day and 5/- a week. Visitors to the hotel had free use of the course. Sunday play allowed without caddies. The Station (LNWR) was ½ mile away.

 

Llanwrtyd Wells Golf Club, Powys. Dolcoed Hotel and Golf Links..

Dolcoed Hotel and Golf Links. Postcard published by T B Lewis, LLanwrtyd Wells.

 

Llanwrtyd Wells Golf Club, Powys. Scorecard cover.

A scorecard cover from the first Llanwrtyd course.

 

The Dolecoed (early spelling) Hotel course was still in existence in September 1922 as the St David's, Lampeter golf team were to play Llanwrtyd over the Dolecoed course. No information was found regarding Dolecoed after this.

In 1919 a new course was being laid out and this must have been the course at the Abernant Hotel, the first tee and last green being adjacent to the Llangamarch Old Road. Bunkers were constructed but there were already plenty of natural hazards consisting of rushes, whins, banks and streams.

The first nine holes were as follows: Hole One, 330 yards; Two, 400 yards; Three, 290 yards; Four, 120 yards; Five, 420 yards; Six, 390 yards; Seven, 400 yards; Eight, 310 yards; Nine, 320 yards. The bogey for the nine holes was 39. It was intended eventually to add another nine holes, one of which would be 500 yards in length.

In 1923 the Abernant Lake Golf Club appears as a 13 hole course and Sunday play was allowed. The railway station at Llanwrtyd Wells (LNWR) was 500yds away.

In 1925 and 1928 it was proposed that the course at the Abernant Lake Hotel was to be extended from 13 to 18 holes. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day. Sunday play was allowed without caddies.

 

Llanwrtyd Wells Golf Club, Powys. The 18-hole Putting Course.

The 18-hole Putting Course at Abernant Hotel.

 

From 1931 to 1940 the secretary at Abernant Lake Hotel Golf Club was C Banzhaf. The greenkeeper was G Blewitt. The intended extension of the course to 18 holes probably never materialised as it was now only listed as being 9 holes. Course records were: amateur D Morris (78); professional P Alliss (74); these records continued until 1965.

Result of a match played at Knighton in May 1934.

Knighton Golf Club   Llanwrtyd Wells Golf Club  
S N Shrimpton 0 D R Jones 1
C F Pugh 0 A Williams 0
M James 0 O Thomas 0
Stuart Shrimpton 0 W A Davies 0
T F Evans 1 M Bonzhaf 0
R O R Medlicott 1 C Bonzhaf 0
D Sibbald 1 R S Davies 0
R D Cansdell 1 D L Williams 0
  4   1

From 1947 to 51 the secretary was H V Hughes of Barclays Bank Ltd, Llanwrtyd Wells. The greenkeeper was L Jones.

From 1952 to the club’s last appearance in 1965, the secretary at Abernant Hotel Golf Club was Rhys Davies, “Wylfa”, Llanwrtyd Wells. The greenkeeper was L Thomas. The 9 hole course had a SSS of 75 and Par 76. Membership throughout was 50. Visitors’ fees were 2/6d a day. Sunday play was allowed.

 

Llanwrtyd Wells Golf Club, Powys. Locations of the former golf courses.

Location of the former Llanwrtyd Wells Golf Courses. Dolecoed, Grid reference SN87230,47030, co-ordinates 287230,247030.
Abernant, Grid reference SN88750,46320, co-ordinates 288750,246320.

 

The former course at the Dolecoed Hotel is pinpointed on the Google Map below.