Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


New Quay Golf Club, Ceredigion.

It was reported in July 1909 that a large area of land has been secured at Pencraig, 300 feet above sea level, where a nine hole course could be laid out. A committee had been formed with Captain Thomas, Park Street as Chairman and Mr Llewelyn Rees as Secretary.

In January 1910 it was confirmed that a golf club has been formed at New Quay. It was situated on Neuadd Bank, 15 minutes walk from New Quay, with grand views of Aberaeron and Aberystwyth. There was said to be sufficient land for 18- holes but it was only a 9-course at the time. The course was to be laid out by Mr Morris, Tenby.  The secretary was now J Webb, High Terrace, and treasurer E J Davies. 

In the early years the nearest station was at Llandysul 15 miles away; from there a GWR bus service was available to New Quay. Eventually, by the mid 1920s the railway arrived at New Quay and the station was only one mile from the course. Local hotels were the Black Lion and Park House.

 

New Quay Golf Club, Ceredigion. Golf links (top left).

Postcard showing the location of the golf links (top left). Authors Collection.

 

New Quay Golf Club, Ceredigion. From the golf links.

Postcard with view taken from the golf links. Authors Collection

 

In 1914 the secretary was W J Webb and the professional William James. The club had a membership of 80. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were £1/1/0 and ladies 10/6d. Visitors’ fees were 1/6d a day, 6/- a week and £1 a month. Sunday play was not allowed.

In the early 1920s the secretary was G Williams. There was a membership of 50. Course records were: amateur Glyn Elias (69); professional Charles Morris (69).

The clubs last appearance was in 1926 when the joint secretaries were J P Davies and J J Evans, and the greenkeeper was J Ormond. 9 hole course, with a membership of 50. Visitors’ fees were 2/6d a day, 10/- a week and £1 a month.