Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Ffestiniog Golf Club, Gwynedd. (1893 - 2014)

The club was originally founded in 1893.

Records show that on the 30th January, 1897 the Commissioners of Woods, Forests and Land Revenues formally granted a licence to the Ffestiniog Golf Club.


Ffestiniog Golf Club, Gwynedd. Early view of the course.

Early postcard of the Ffestiniog course.


The history of the club was spread over two distinct periods; from 1893 to 1935 and from 1967 to closure in March 2014. In 1935 the original Ffestiniog Golf Club ceased to function mainly due to the general depression of the 1930s and the remoteness of the course. When the club closed in 1935 the course reverted to its ancient role of a public recreation area and mountain sheep grazing for five farmers.

On the 13th September 1967 a public meeting was held at Ffestiniog Hall to discuss and  to test the feeling of the locals as to the need of a golf club. There was a good response and a steering committee was established to re-open the old golf course.

The course was situated on the outskirts of Ffestiniog Village about 900 feet above sea level, Clwb Golff Ffestiniog was one of the highest golf courses in Wales, with stunning views of Ffestiniog and of the surrounding area stretcing all the way to the North Wales coast.

It had many natural features and hazards. The par 68 course measured 4,602 metres from the Gents Tees and 3,878 metres from the Ladies Tees.

In May 1905 Lord Newborough presented a silver cup to the value of £25 for competition.


Ffestiniog Golf Club, Gwynedd. Course scorecard.



Ffestiniog Golf Club, Gwynedd. Course layout.

Course layout.


Due to lack of finances the club finally closed on the 31st March 2014. The following message appeared on the club website “Due to continuing losses the Club Committee has regrettably decided that the club is to close at the end of March 2014.”


FFestiniog Golf Club, Gwynedd. The Newborough Cup.

Above the Ffestiniog club secretary, Glyn Hughes, returns the Newborough Cup to Lord Newborough for display at Rhug.


Welcome to Ffestiniog Golf Club.

Welcome to the course. Authors Collection.


Ffestiniog Golf Club, Gwynedd. The clubhouse.

The clubhouse. Authors Collection.


Ffestiniog Golf Club, Gwynedd. The first hole.

On the first tee, green centre middle. Authors Collection.


Ffestiniog Golf Club, Gwynedd. The ninth hole.

Approach to the ninth green. Authors Collection.


View United Kingdom in a larger map