Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Clochfaen Golf Club, Llangurig, Powys. (1890s)

Clochfaen Golf Club was instituted in May 1890.

It was reported in June 1890 that a golf ground had been laid out for Lieut.-Col. Verney on the Clochfaen estate at Llangurig. It was open free of charge to all golfers.

The following information is from the 1891/92 Golfing Annual:- Clochfaen Golf Club; Number of Members, 4; President, Col. Lloyd-Verney; Committee – J H Lloyd-Verney and E V Lloyd Verney; Hon. secretary, H Lloyd Lloyd-Verney, Clochfaen, Llanidloes; Green, Clochfaen.

The Clochfaen Golf Course, consisting of 18-holes, was laid out in the early part of last summer by Jack Morris, the Hoylake professional, and abounds with hazards in the shape of banks dividing the sheep runs, small pools, deep valleys, cart ruts, and other formations. Clochfaen is the name of the estate of the Lloyd-Verneys at Llangurig, a village five miles from Llanidloes station in North Wales. This village is nearly one thousand five hundred feet above the sea, and the course has been laid out on an extensive sheep run called Tynmaes. The views from these heights are very fine extending to Plynlimmon on the west, to Cader Idris and Snowdon to the north, and to the mountains of Radnorshire and Cardiganshire to the east and south.

Llanidloes is the station for Llangurig and is on the Cambrian system. At Llanidloes traps can be hired to take golfers to the course. At Llangurig a new and comfortable hotel has recently been opened called the Black Lion, and in the coffee-room a large ordnance map showing the course and the position of the holes etc. The landlord has a folded map for the golfer to take with him if necessary. The course is only half a mile from the hotel and is open to all residents of the hotel, to whom is also granted the privilege of trout fishing in several lakes and the River Wye on payment of a small fee. Col. Lloyd-Varney, the owner of the links, has laid out a tennis ground close to the course, so that visitors to the Black Lion will have no difficulty in filling in their time.