Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Heywood Golf Club, Lancashire. (1907 - WW2)

The club was founded in 1907.

A qualifying  round for the captain's (B Litton) prize was played on Saturday 4th September 1909; L J Smith, 99-24-75; J Hunt, 108-26-82; H Hodson, 110-24-86; D T Buckley, 114-24-90. On Saturday 25th another qualifying round was played; G Siddall, 83-16-67; J Davies, 95-26-69; R Healey, 95-23-72; J Crossley, 99-22-77; W Bleakley, 97-20-77.

In September 1909 the final for the club prize was played, Ernest Ashwood defeating J Bleakley by 4&3. The tie for the ladies' prize between Mrs Robert Healey and Miss Hilda Stott was also decided, Mrs Healey with a net score of 63 against Miss Stott's 65.  

The semi-final for the captain's prize was played on the Siddall Moor course on Saturday 12th August 1911. J W Hartley and W E Stott qualified for the final. 

Result for a prize presented by J W Hartley; E Schofield, 140 net; J C Rothwell, 150; C A Coupe, 153; W E Stott, 156. 

Heywood Golf Club, Lancashire. Club button.

Heywood Golf Club button. Image Courtesy of Dixon Pickup.

 

The superb silver button above with triple vitreous enamels, being the correct display of the Arms granted to the Municipal Borough of Heywood in 1881. They are based on the Arms of various Heywood Families. The reverse stamped SILVER and made by the Birmingham medal Company, Vittoria Street. (Dixon Pickup.) 

In 1914 the secretary was D T Buckley, King Street, Heywood.  A 9-hole course with a membership of 140. Entry fees were £1/1/0 and subs £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day. There was no Sunday play. Stations at Heywood and Broadfield were both 10 minutes away.

A mixed foursome was played on Saturday 16th May 1914; Miss Whitehead and Ewart Ashworth, 94-25-69; Miss Coupe and E Schofield, 100-27-73; Miss Wisken and L J Smith, 99-21-78; Miss Hobson and G C Rothwell, 102-23-79.   

The final for the captain's prize, given by James Hunt, was played on Saturday 7th August 1914. D T Buckley beat Jesse Hilton by 6&5. 

The annual meeting was held at the Golden Pan, Church Street, on Monday 12th February 1917. The treasurers report showed that the club was in a fairly satisfactory condition.  The following officers were elected; President, Alderman R Jackson J.P., C.C; captain, Ed Ramsbottom; vice-captain, Mr Eglen Schofield; treasurer, Chas Collinge; secretary, D T Buckley; council - J Hunt, A Hobson, W Duckworth, E Ashworth, L J Smith, H A Taylor, J Hilton, A Nuttall, T McMurdo and T Wolsehlme. Auditors T Robinson and J W Hartley.  

A competition was played for a silver button in May 1919. J Longton and H Taylor tied with a score of 80, Taylor won the play off.

In 1923 the secretary was Walter Stuart, “Primrose Villas”, Heywood. The club had a membership of 120. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, Saturdays 2/6, 7/6 a week.

From 1930 to 1933 the secretary was J Dakin, 56 Bury St, Heywood and the green-keeper  J Wrigley. The membership stood at 250.

Below Ladies' Day in June 1939.

 

Heywood Golf Club, Lancashire. Results from ladies' day in June 1939.

From the Rochdale Observer Wednesday 21st June 1939. Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

The annual meeting was held in the clubhouse in February 1941. The statement of accounts showed a small credit balance, the following officers were elected; President, W H Hardman; vice-presidents - Councillor J Hunt, D Drury, H Hargreaves, R L Froggatt, Herman Jackson, T D McMurdo, H Pollitt and G C Rothwell; captain, W A Wild; vice-captain, W Rothwell; lady captain, Miss Agnes Cross; secretary, J Meadowcroft, treasurer, W H Hardman; competition secretary, F Schofield; auditors, A F Green and R L Froggatt. 

Result of a mixed foursome played in June 1941.

 

Heywood Golf Club, Lancashire. Result of a mixed foursome competition played in June 1941.

From the Rochdale Observer Saturday 21st June 1941. Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

From 1938 to its final appearance in 1942 the secretary was J Meadowcroft, 189 Manchester Rd, Heywood. The green-keeper was still J Wrigley. The 9-hole course had a membership of 150 and a SSS of 68. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, Saturday 4/-, 7/6 a week and Sunday play was allowed.

The war is taking its toll on the club by October 1941.

 

Heywood Golf Club, Lancashire. Part of the golf course required for agriculture in 1941.

From the Rochdale Observer Wednesday 29th October 1941. Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Below the sad in end March 1942 everything to be sold.

 

Heywood Golf Club, Lancashire. Auction of assets in March 1942.

From the Rochdale Observer Saturday 14th March 1942. Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Heywood Golf Club, Lancashire. The golf course in the 1930s.

Location of the Heywood course.

Grid reference SD85540,09685, co-ordinates 385540,409685.